Wednesday, March 23, 2016

It's The Thought That Counts, Right?

Spitting this out real quick -- I'm a little disappointed in my room for not being more enthusiastic about the donuts.

I always do this when I'm working somewhere.  Well, maybe not everywhere, but often I buy treats for the people I work with.  I've done it once before with this room, and even though they ate all the Godiva chocolates, I was kind of surprised that it took what probably were the leaders on the project to take the last ones that day.  Thought it would've been gone by afternoon break.

That should have told me something; maybe these people don't like treats, or free food, or the concept of generosity, or me.  Nevertheless, I went through my usual routine of buying donuts once a project.  I even woke up at a quarter after 6 to take the trek to south Minneapolis and what may be The Best Place For Donuts In The Twin Cities, fearful of the snowstorm that never came (more on that later), in order to present the room with three dozen of those badboys, in four basic but wonderful varieties.

And at first there were people coming up to the box to get them.  But that was it.  Maybe they were waiting for morning break, or maybe they didn't know those donuts were for them (stupid theory, I know).  But I didn't see much of a rush to the table, no, "Ooh-ooh-ooh, fuckin' donuts!"  I saw people get them, including the hot chick who sits across the aisle from me.  (Man, I want to impress her so bad, but she didn't even say thanks to me!)  However, we didn't run out of donuts in the afternoon.

In fact, in the few times I used the excuse of going to the bathroom in order to fly by the box, I estimated that there were more than a dozen, more than one-third, of the donuts I had so magnanimously bought for the room by afternoon break.  In particular, only one of the nine powdered donuts were taken.  The ones with the sprinkles were all gone, as were all but one of the chocolate glazed.  (Half of the cinnamon sugar were still there, which surprises me because I heard that those donuts are the best ones this bakery makes.  They sure smelled good!)  But the powdered ones are always the ones people like best, because it's the one that has all the powder!  But no dice.

Weird.  Are these people insular?  Are they assholes?  Or maybe they're just not into donuts.  I sometimes wonder if it's the type of treat that repels people.  Maybe it's passé to buy fattening, not-good-for-you treats for your co-workers.  Perhaps these guys are on health kicks and that if I, like, get a fruit bouquet from Edible Arrangements they would go like hotcakes, to mix food and food analogies.

So, not being a fan of wasting food done really well, I announced to the room that I would be moving all the donuts to the building-wide break room before afternoon break.  That way I'm sure any of the workers there would grab the remaining donuts -- which, after I took a cinnamon sugar and a powdered, came out to a baker's dozen.  Thirteen left over?!  I thought people loved donuts!

That's when the stampede I expected happened, sort of.  As I began to put all the plates and napkins into the leftover box, one person took the last chocolate glaze.  Then another lady grabbed a donut.  Then people in the back motioned for me to bring the box to them.  One guy took two, another cute chick took one.  I was announcing "Last call!" to the entire room on my way out.  That got it down to eight donuts left, and once I whipped around to the break room an hour after I placed the rest of the donuts on the table for both break rushes to come through, they were long gone.  So at least someone enjoyed them.

Still, everybody thanked me for bringing the donuts, probably even the ones that didn't want any.  Guess that's good, and as long as the donuts were all taken, I can't really complain.  But still, I find it kind of funny that so many people didn't want an extremely tasty donut for free.  Guess I am a little bit offended.  A little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment