Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Do Better, Xorge Olivares!

Xorje Olivares is a media personality, radio producer and host on SiriusXM Progress.  I listen to the channel's morning show (which is actually a syndicated radio show that is heard on terrestrial radio), The Stephanie Miller Show, and a part of the show before it, Signal Boost, for which Olivares I think is the producer.

So what I am saying is that I have not heard him a whole lot.  But from what I have heard, he is smart and has solidly progressive views.  No problem there.  He has his own show on Saturday mornings, which I do not have time to listen to.  But a network commercial for that his show, Affirmative Reaction, usually airs once or twice a day during Miller.  And I need to get this off my chest: Those spots promoting his show are fucking terrible.

I don't know if this is how all talk show ads are formatted, or if it's just the ones for SXM Progress.  But in the 30 seconds, there is a voiceover that says the title of the program, then there is a clip from a recent show to give a flavor of what that program is about and what you can expect from the host, and then the VO comes back to slate the title of the program again, give its timeslot, then finishes the spot with, "... on SiriusXM Progress, 127!"

What I have noticed when it comes to ads for Affirmative Reaction, and I think I have noticed this ever since his show started several years ago, is that this clip that fills the "donut" of the spot rarely, if ever, is him talking about the issues of the day -- no Trump, nothing about an LGBTQ+ case in front of the Supreme Court, nothing about the kids being separated from their parents at the border.  The overwhelming majority of these clips features, and this is not a joke, him introducing a guest, and that guest complimenting him.  It literally is, "We welcome our guest, so-and-so. ..." "Oh, thank you so much for having me, Xorge, you're awesome!"

First of all, I find the repeated ass-kissing weird.  The same clip appears to run for a couple weeks before it's swapped out for a fresher one, and yet they just use a sound bite of another guest thanking him.  But the main sin is that these promotional ads are absolutely uninformative.  How are you supposed to promote the show and encourage someone to tune in and try it when we can't hear the host spouting off on the issues his talk show theoretically covers?  I have heard, at most, two rants where Olivares gives his opinion on a hot-button issue of the day, and neither of them were particularly information-filled nor, well, ranty.  These guests we hear him introduce are never heard talking about an issue, either.  It is quickie radio fellatio.

I could, could, buy into an explanation that someone else is cutting these spots, and that person either has no idea how to promote a radio show or is out to make Olivares look bad.  If that's the case, and regardless of whether Olivares is a jerk or not, it behooves him, his show and the channel to find someone who can do a better job.  But if you want to be less charitable and believe Olivares has direct control of what clips are used for these ads, the only logical conclusion one can arrive at is that Xorge Olivares is a thin-skinned narcissist who should care about progressive issues but really is only about promoting himself.

Like I said, I don't have time to listen to him.  And I want to believe that everyone who's on SiriusXM Progress has a brain and good intentions.  But shit, man, these spots aren't doing him any favors.  And I understand it is very weird for me to go off on shitty promotional ads on satellite radio.  But that should be a sign of how conspicuously execrable these are.  Man, I haven't done a radio spot in two decades, and I know I could find a better clip for these promotionals than the ones I routinely hear for him.  Xorge, the people who work for him, someone at SXM Prog -- jfc, step it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment