Sunday, February 14, 2021

So How Did I Do In Predicting The Super Bowl?

When it comes to the most important result, who won and by how much, I was totally wrong.  I was certain it was going to be a close Game, even to the point where I wasn't sure if Kansas City or Tampa Bay would win (although I thought, in the end, the Chiefs would win).  I thought there was a slight chance the Chiefs would rout the Buccaneers.  I never, never thought Tampa Bay would manage to toy with the Chiefs.  I guess having two replacement Offensive Tackles does make all the difference ... even though all those penalties in the First Half can't be overlooked as a factor, justified or not.

So I got the team and the type of result wrong.  As for my other super-specific predictions ... well, for some, the less said, the better.  I will recount my most off predictions:
  • Tyreek Hill did not finish with more Rushing Yards (5) than Receiving (73).  Maybe he should've been given more than one jet sweep; maybe that would've slowed the Bucs' Pass Rush.
  • Mecole Hardman did not have a run of at least 30 Yards.  He didn't have a run, period.
  • Neither Chief back-up Tight End scored a Touchdown.  Neither of them caught a pass, period.  Shoot, no Chief scored a TD, come to think of it.
  • Finally, Tom Brady did not throw an Interception in the back half of the Fourth Quarter that shifted momentum of Super Bowl LV.  Far from it; the Game was well in hand by then.  His numbers prove that he did not turn in the climb-on-my-back performance that should be rewarded with the Most Valuable Player award (I'm having a hard time who I would have picked, though -- Rob Gronkowski?  Devin White?  Leonard Fournette?), but he certainly did not hurt his team, and yeah, I believe that the "aura" of a legend influences teammates to play harder and better.
With all that said, I did give one Anti-Pick.  If I had been in Las Vegas and I was compelled to make one bet on the Super Bowl, it would have been Under 56 Points.  And the Game, which finished 31-9, definitely was under.  At least I got that right.

No comments:

Post a Comment