Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Great, Now I Can't Forget The Last Shot Of Saint Maud

I was looking at the website called The Ringer and got sucked into clicking on a story about The Best Movies Of The Year.  There were two lists because two writers expounded on their favorites.  For one, the tenth best was Saint Maud, a psychological/religious horror film.  And I got sucked in by the kind of line that always sucks me in: Paraphrasing, "The last shot of the movie is one I still remember."  (It was supposed to be released in the United States in April 2020, but pandemic, so it was shelved but finally had a brief and limited run back in late January before being sent straight to video and streaming in mid-February.)

I'm no horror fan, but I am a fool for lines like that.  What kind of last shot would be so indelible that it's branded in your brain?  So I went on YouTube to see if the last shot of Saint Maud was on there.  And it was.

Prepare to see something that'll haunt you for the rest of your goddamn life.


Yeah, I saw that -- and I thank Buddha above that I saw it with my laptop muted; if I had heard what I saw, I probably wouldn't sleep for a week -- and I immediately regret it.  And then I Googled "Saint Maud last scene" and nearly all the links on the first page are riffs on, "The last scene is something I will never, ever forget."  Oh, so everybody has that last shot burned in their minds' eyes?  Wouldn't that be information I would have liked to have known before seeing it?

Pray for me as hard as Maud does that I get to go to sleep tonight.  Shit. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment