Saturday, July 29, 2023

Party Fouls

Will be going to this big event soon.  I won't say that it's a disaster, but already one big thing has come up that I don't like and have to admit some fault in: A couple people e-mailed me over the past couple days if they can come.  They do this even though 1) I have given them a few e-mail warnings over the past couple months and 2) registration is already over.  These two people are lovely, but I don't know how much attention they've been paying to the lead-up to this event.  From what they are telling me, they don't know, for example, that there is now an admission fee for this party.

With that being said, these two people reached out immediately after I e-mailed my group, which was Wednesday.  I finally checked e-mails just now.  If I were more diligent, I would have been able to answer their questions immediately after they asked me.  I regret not doing my part.  In an effort to prevent that, I am trying to see if I have set up notifications for that particular e-mail account.  What would also help is if my alma mater specifically told registrants the deadline to sign up.

So I stonewalled one person who wanted to come.  Another person still wants to come, the day of.  I don't know what to do with her, so I gave her the e-mail of someone in the alma mater.  It would be kind of a disaster if the hosts (who really are in charge) are overwhelmed with people they didn't expect to be there.  I don't know what to do if you decide to come to this party the day of the party.  I'm not in charge of it anymore.  I volunteered to help, and this is what happens.  I have to learn my lesson next time.  But as much as I want to help, if I can't decide things on my own -- and I no longer have any decision-making power with these events -- what I am volunteering for?

Add all that that there will be scant few people I know there (probably a result of the attendance fee); that I'm going to a brand-new address I've never been to before; that I'm going to a city I've never been to before; that the party is going to be three hours which seems very long; and I will sheepishly ask people I have not met if I can take pictures of them for our social media ... and, well, I am not going into this with the best frame of mind.  I am expecting the worst, not going to lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment