Monday, July 31, 2023

I Wanna Be A Women's World Cup-Watching Warrior!!!

The uniqueness of this Women's World Cup is that because it's being held in Australia and New Zealand, the Matches are being played overnight.  There has been a couple Matches that started at 9 Central time (including the first two Matches the United States played), and Argentina and South Africa kicked off at 7, gloriously.  But most of the Matches so far have kicked off at 2:30 and 5 in the morning, with some midnight and 8 a.m. kickoffs sprinkled in there.

Don't know when exactly I became a whore for soccer, especially for global and continental tournaments, but I am.  And now that the Women's World Cup has gotten to the final Group Stage Matches where teams are either getting into the Knockout Round or not, it's getting real interesting.  And I want to see it, even if they start overnight.

The last Games in Group A have already happened: They kicked off yesterday/Sunday morning at 2:30 a.m.  Two more Groups finish with their Games at 2 (they're playing right as I am typing this up) and 5 this/Monday morning.  Tuesday's Group-enders are at 2 (the U. S. plays Portugal) and 6, Wednesday's are 2 and 5, and Thursday has the last pair of Matches for Group H that kick off at 5.

And I'm thinking: Why don't I go out somewhere and watch them?  I work this week at The Fourth Department, so I have to report at 8.  I could find a bar that it'll be open early enough.  The 6 o'clock Matches aren't too taxing; I wake up at 5, maybe cut out just before the Matches end and get to work on time.  And I can watch all of the 5 o'clock Matches without leaving early.  I'll have to find a bar.  The Black Hart said they wouldn't be open for Group Matches if they are on at odd times and the Match doesn't involve the U.S., but they will be open later this morning for Canada-Australia (and also, presumably, Nigeria-Ireland).  So, if they stay open for other Matches this week, why not?  I mean, YOLO, right?  I did watch all four Men's World Cup Matches at the Black Hart that one day, and I am pretty damn proud of myself.

Well, here are the downsides:
  • The Black Hart might not be open;
  • While I could get up early for the 5 and 6 o'clock Matches, I am saying up for the 2 o'clock Matches.  I can stay up past 2, no problem.  But can I stay up all night, watch Doubleheaders, then go to work?  Probably not.  And I nor my body are keen on going to bed early;
  • I could fall asleep at work.  I have to tell you all that I haven't gotten any "re-education" at work yet for staying late in The Fourth Department.  I was able to get out basically after eight hours Thursday and Friday, so I hope that forestalls any intervention planned by my boss.  But I feel as though I am still in a tenuous position, and if he catches me slumped over my keyboard because I woke up at 4 in the morning to watch some soccer, I'm afraid he'll be all up in my business until I work only 40 hours a week.
  • And, finally, there are my parents.  If they weren't here, I would probably do it, at least for one morning.  But I don't want to wake up and sneak out at 4:30 or 5:30 a.m., then have them ask why I am leaving so early for work.
So, although I want to be a Women's World Cup-watching warrior, it probably won't happen.  Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment