Tuesday, July 4, 2023

I Should Have Gone

Thought about going to the Fleet Foxes concert tonight.  But as you see on my time stamp, I am not.  I am home.  And I regret it for a couple reasons.

I thought about going for a while.  I obviously didn't have work today, even though I (and probably everyone else) does go back to work tomorrow.  And that there is a concert on a major holiday -- "Fleet Foxes on the Fourth!" -- is a unique set of circumstances that always intrigues me.  Oh, and while I'm not a huge Fleet Foxes fan, I am familiar with a few of their songs, and I love "Mykonos":


But I balked at the price.  With fees, it was about $75.  I like Fleet Foxes, but I don't know if I like them to the tune of $75.  I had been canvassing third-party sites, but they were selling tickets that were even more expensive, which is odd considering that First Ave. still had tickets to sell at face value.

There were other reasons for me to balk.  I hate feeling this way, but I feel uneasy whenever I go out in the evening while my parents are here.  I go out too much and they'll start asking questions about me that just drain me of my will to live.  If I go out the occasional evening, they don't bitch, and I already stayed out after work yesterday/Monday to watch a special screening of Bullitt (I told them I wanted to exercise straight after work ... and by the way, this is the first movie I have seen Steve McQueen, and you know, this guy is a badass cool motherfucker) and I'll need to go out Saturday night for an MNUFC Match.  Plus I went out this afternoon to go to Hooters and to make an exchange at Target.  If I didn't feel the need to see cleavage and tight shorts this Independence Day, I could feel as though I could go out tonight.

Yeah, that is a weird, if not submissive, set of logic that keeps me at home right now.  Let me give you more.  In the days leading up to tonight, there has been a chance of storms, some severe.  I didn't know if I wanted to walk downtown in the middle of a storm, although I think the place will be dead because there's little open during the holiday, which would have been great for parking.  But after waking up from my three-hour nap at 7:30, I checked the forecast and the chances for rain, let alone storms, has just about evaporated.  I could go and not get wet.

Moreover, I just agreed to give a guy I've never met money to accompany him to the Nickle Creek concert in St. Paul next week.  We are in the same Facebook group, and he and his wife were going to go, but his wife, I think, was called to a work trip, and so he just asked if anyone wanted to buy the ticket.  I said yes even though 1) it turns out he wants about $70 for the ticket; 2) I like Nickle Creek but not as much as I like Fleet Foxes; and 3) there is a United FC Match that evening and my dumb ass didn't even check to see if there would be a conflict before I said I wanted the ticket.  Now, you can argue that I am spending the same amount for Nickel Creek as I am for Fleet Foxes, and I have hectored myself that I spend too much money.  This is all true.  And yet I can't help but think that I should go to both shows.

Ultimately, I would have gone if I could go to First Ave. and buy the ticket there, thereby saving money on all those damn "convenience" fees.  It may have saved me just five bucks for all I know, but that is worth it for me on principle.  I woke up at 7:30, checked the First Ave. website, and they said the show was sold out.  Maybe I should have woken up earlier.  Maybe they weren't really sold out and I could just go and get a ticket, but ... well, it's now a bit past 9, and Fleet Foxes took the stage at 9, and it's too late.

I should have gone.  Man, the self-hate continues.

---

Anyway, this is the Fourth Of July, so here's Soundgarden:

No comments:

Post a Comment