Friday, July 21, 2023

I Said What I Said ... Will I Reap The Whirlwind?

So I finally wrote back to my boss about the e-mail he wrote to me.  I actually started it at work Wednesday and I wanted to complete it, but, wouldn't you know, I got swamped with work.

Well, to be honest, I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to write.  I had stayed up late Tuesday and last (?)/Wednesday night thinking about what I wanted to say.  Like I said, I am having trouble figuring out what to reveal and what to conceal.  Say too much and I'll say something I'll regret.  Say too little and I don't state my case and get some control over the situation, and I allow him to think and maybe act in a way I don't want him to.  And I had to write in a way where I don't antagonize my boss (I still think he's a good guy) while defending to the hilt how I do my job.  By the way, I think he is getting pressure from his bosses about me.  I still think I'm doing all I can, but I wanted to acknowledge what I think he is going through in my name.

I finished this e-mail at work yesterday/Thursday at work.  Took me 20 minutes, and ironically, if I didn't review and finish that e-mail, I think I would have gotten out of work within eight hours.  I think taking an extra 24 hours to think about what I want to write helped.  If I didn't, I probably would have said something I would want to take back.  Then again, if I look back on what I sent, I would probably still change some things.

I also wondered when I should have sent it.  I guess I could have waited until I left for the week today/Friday.  But even assuming I wouldn't see him till Tuesday, which is when his workweek sometimes starts, I didn't want to give the impression that I was trying to duck him.  On the other hand, he's going to see it when he gets to work an hour before I do, and he might not like what I say.  Or, he'll write back with something I don't like.

Yeah, every decision I have made is fraught with peril.  But I don't think just reading it and ignoring it is going to help.  Could things come to a head as soon as I come into work today?  Yes.  But things could come to a head if I don't say anything, either.  I could be damned whatever I do.  So I made the decision to say something.  And since I fired off that e-mail, I can't take much back.  I said what I said.  And I guess I'll face the consequences, whatever they may be.

Should polish my resume, though. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment