Thursday, July 27, 2023

It's Getting Dangerously Hot Out Here

I think we're moving through the hottest stretch of weather we've had this summer, or at least the second-hottest.  Heat indices through 100 -- not as bad as places in the South and West that have suffered under this "heat dome" phenomenon, but that climate change-triggered air is moving this way.

It's not great for taking a nap in the car.  Tried yesterday at work, but I don't think I fell asleep.  Since it's going to be hotter today, the chances that I can get a cat nap in today are even worse than they were yesterday.  Which means I should head to bed real soon.

Going to a movie in this heat, like I did last/Wednesday night (saw the latest Mission Impossible ... great set pieces, but I don't quite get the plot, so I don't know how this flick is getting universal acclaim)?  Great idea.  Going to a soccer Match, like I will tomorrow/Thursday night, in the middle of a Heat Warning?  Not a great idea.

I feel as though when it's really hot outside, it gets dangerous.  I don't just mean that people may suffer from heat stroke.  I parked at a Kwik Trip so I could eat a Subway (concession prices are just too expensive now), and a few parking spots to my left I saw an SUV with its hood popped open and its passenger seat crammed with, supposedly, the driver's possessions.  Guess is he doesn't have a place to rest his or her head, and so he sleeps in the car, but now the car is giving him or her trouble.  It's a lot better at night, but when the thing you rely on for both freedom and shelter is giving you problems, the hot weather seems to make it much worse.  There were a lot of people crawling around, too.  It's a summer night, around 10:30, but the heat makes people do dumb things, violent things.  Maybe the guy whose car conked off was going to lose it and shoot people.  Hell if I know, it's America.

The fever is supposed to break tomorrow/Friday.  The weekend is supposed to be gorgeous, which is great because my alumni club is having a huge event Saturday afternoon.  Just need to survive the heat today.

No comments:

Post a Comment