Friday, September 8, 2023

I'm Right On Time This Week? Really?

Well, the unthinkable -- and according to my boss, the miraculous -- might be happening: With one day left in the shortened workweek, I have gotten out of work, in which I have been working in The Fourth Department, on time.  I mean I got in on time and left after exactly, exactly eight hours on the clock.  And to be honest, if I had my boss breathing down my neck about OT (he put in half a day on Tuesday before being off, but he comes back today/Friday), I could have left early all three days.

I don't think I'm "getting it."  Well, I've already "gotten it," and while I am somewhat amazed that a certain number of forms that would have made me stay late in the past is now a relatively easy task where I'm actually finishing up fairly quickly, I will still insist it's the meager workload that's allowing me to have a "normal" workweek.  I don't know what's going on in the lab, from which I receive my day's work, but I'm guessing that enough people are taking the week off that they're just not getting around to the work.  Or, maybe it's a chain-wide, nationwide slowdown in work.  What I think is happening (I wanted to check this before I left yesterday/Thursday, but heck, I would have had to stay late if I did) is that a crush of forms that I would normally receive in the middle of the afternoon simply hasn't come this week, or at least not to the extent where I would need to stay late.  I don't think that indicates mastery; it's more like mercy.

Let's see if this will happen today/Friday as well.  I think it will, but I'm afraid it won't, and I'll have to stay till 6:30 because I jinxed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment