Sunday, September 10, 2023

Expenses Without Receipt

Starting from Sunday, September 10:
  • So the last of my three sojourns to the Minnesota State Fair was Labor Day, and as usual I used cash on a lot of food items, but also these two funnel-looking things that are supposed to drain liquids that are trapped in the bottom of bottles into other bottles.  You know that you throw away bottles of lotion or shampoo or hand sanitizer with some, and maybe a lot, of stuff left in it.  Tossing that all is such a waste.  Well, these things are supposed to help save on that.  Unfortunately, I bought this on impulse with a friend of mine I saw at the State Fair and so I have no idea whether these things even work.  The last, and only other, time I bought something at the Fair was a pruning saw, and that actually worked.  Hope these two -- and I bought two of them -- work as well.  Along with a dill pickle lemonade polenta from the Hamline Church Dining Hall, water from Bobby & Steve's, a chocolate malt from the Food Building, MinneCookieDough Pie, a Lemon Sorbet from Quench'd, and a large Coke from Bridge N' Barrel Root Beer, and I shelled out a total of $43.
  • The second time I went to the Fair was Thursday, August 31, the day of the Duran Duran concert.  Got Manny's Tortas' non-alcoholic "pina colada," a donut from Peachey's with peanut butter creme (and a tip), and Dino's Urban Growler Ginger Basil Hard Seltzer Cocktail.  The total: $30.50.
  • And on my way out I saw those bucket drummers, and I felt charitable so I gave them: $1.
  • On Wednesday the 30th I went to Moler to get a shave.  The dude was thorough and really good, so with tip I spent: $13.
  • That night, on my way to the MNUFC Match, I saw some kids selling cookies at a corner.  This was the second time I saw them.  I bought a raspberry cookie for: $1.
  • I saw these kids Sunday the 27th as well.  They seem nice, but they need to work on their marketing, specifically the fact that the sign they have on their table was pointed away from the intersection.  I was kitty corner from them when I saw a couple people buy cookies from them, and I was curious to what they were selling.  Got a chocolate chip cookie, but I think more people would have bought more if either they swung their table around or if they put up another sign off the side of the table for everyone walking behind them.  But that's just me: $1.
  • Oh, and after the Match I went to the State Fair for the first time.  Paid cash for Holy Land Mediterranean lemonade and RC's BBQ Maui-Sota Sticky Ribs for a grand total of: $19.
  • To Saturday the 26th ... some kids in my neighborhood was selling lemonade.  It could have been colder on this hot day, but I admire enterprising kids: $1.
  • Friday, August 18 -- I went to a gas station (maybe it was Casey's?) to cash in on all the lottery tickets I won.  I lost a lot more in playing, but I got an Infusion of: $16.
  • That afternoon I saw my shoe shiner, who is back to shining shoes!  It looks as though she missed the life.  She no longer owns her spot, but I think that's what she wants.  I'm just glad I was able to get my Doc Martens shined for the first time in almost 18 months!  Plus tip: $20.
  • Saturday, August 5 was a day where a Carbone's pizza relatively close to the airport had a patio pizza party.  It was so popular the patio was packed, so I just peeked my head into the patio to listen to bossa nova music while eating my "special" pizza.  With Coke and tip: $9.
  • All the way back to Monday, July 31, where I went to the Heights to see King Kong on its 90th anniversary.  I watched it once before, after I graduated from college but before I cared about finding a job or making money, and so I spent my afternoons renting out classic movies on VHS.  One of the films I watched is King Kong, and seeing it now after all these years I was surprised at how violent it was, even if the action was stop-motion.  By the way, I don't think the film sided with King Kong, but it should have, though I might be saying that through modern eyes.  Popcorn and tips to concessions and the organist means I spent: $7.50.
  • Wednesday, July 26: Breakfast at McDonald's before work: $5.45.
Once again, I need to do these more frequently.  Done through September 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment