Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Addendum To: More Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes At Work (Which Is A Change Back To What It Was)

Uh, yeah, yesterday/Monday was a disaster at work with the new time.  Well, first of all, work was a shitshow period, regardless of me starting work an hour later.  I know I have said many times before that the previous day was The Worst Day Of Work In The Fourth Department, but oh my God, yesterday was The Worst Day Of Work In The Fourth Department.  There was so much goddamn work, more probably than any other day I've been back there.  Add that I had a few involved phone calls and I started off slowly because I had to figure out how my supervisor left things for me from Thursday and Friday, and I was so behind that I left a ton of work for myself for today/Tuesday after I reached ten hours, more than any other day I have worked in The Fourth Department.  A bunch of answers came in for me, but I didn't have time to get to them.  That is a major, and somewhat upsetting, first.

Given the overwhelming pile of crap I didn't finish, in one sense it doesn't matter if I start work at 9 instead of 8.  But when it became super obvious that I was once again going to put in extra hours, I got depressed that my new schedule meant that I could be staying as late as 7:30 if it gets that bad.  Autumn's coming on like a freight train right now.  As I was finishing up my ten hours by walking to the break room, I looked outside and it was dark out.  It was 7:15, for crissake.  The State Fair was three weeks ago and the sun didn't set that early then.  Also, 7:30 is such an odd time for your workday to end.  I am not looking forward to getting out of work on a regular basis at that time.

For that reason, I am seriously thinking about asking my boss if I could come in an hour earlier on Mondays.  Like I said in my previous blog post, on Mondays the work waiting for me was delivered to the inbox over the weekend.  It may not matter when I get to them if the e-mails are just sitting there, but if I can at least work Mondays on a schedule so that I don't feel like I'm working second shift by the time I'm done, I want to do it.  The downshifting of my schedule by an hour is to accommodate the new schedule by the lab.  But the work during the rest of the workweek is coming through later each day.  Monday's work mostly comes on Saturday, so there really isn't a need to adjust my workday on that day.  And again, I still probably will be pulling ten hours, but as I feel right now, it's better to get out at 6:30 on at least one day of the workweek and not 7:30.

With that in mind, hope to summon up the courage to present my argument to my boss this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment