Friday, September 1, 2023

The Research Experiment That Won't End

So as part of this experiment, which I thought I was done with yesterday/Thursday, I have to both track what I eat for 24 hours and wear this Fitbit thing which is not a Fitbit.  This was one of those things I kind of was told but didn't really "hear," you know?  I kind of knew about the food diary and the Fitbit thing when I read the experiment, but I needed to be told yesterday/Thursday that, in fact, the research study isn't over.

The food diary should be a normal day of eating.  That's difficult to do since I went to the State Fair yesterday after the research study and probably will again on Monday, and then I have to go online and write down everything as soon as the 24-hour period is over -- like, I have to do this immediately.  The first time I would have time to do that is next Thursday.

Moreover, this Fitbit thing, accompanied by a sleep diary I also have to fill out, is seven days.  I was strapped to this thing and basically told not to take it off till, well, next Thursday.  Moreover, I don't know if this darn thing is working.  It has no face, just a light sensor and a button that I am supposed to push when I go to sleep, when I wake up, and when I take it off for more than half an hour.  I kind of don't think this is working.  I don't see the light sensor on, and when I woke up in the morning, I thought I hit the button, but it's so recessed against the level of the watch that I don't know if I fully pressed it.  If I'm paranoid, I think this Fitbit thing doesn't work at all, and yet the research study is telling me it works and that I need to wear it, because they want to track my behavior through my sleep diary while thinking this thing works.  I'm thinking about how I could be wearing something that doesn't work for a whole week!

So this research study, which I initially thought lasted only two days, really is lasting ten.  I am getting a lot of money for it, but prorating it over ten days instead of two ... man, it would've been better for me to work the Gopher Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment