Thursday, August 31, 2023

I Think My Fellow Alums Don't Like Me Much Right Now

So I run this e-mail list where I promote our game-watching events for football season.  Well, one of them, who I have met in person but haven't seen in years, complained to me that one of my e-mails led to a phishing e-mail from one of the people I e-mailed.  She wanted me, rightly, to look into it and make sure I delete that e-mail address.  One problem: I don't see that e-mail address on my list.  I don't know where that came from.

What do I do now?  I want to help, but I don't know how, especially since this didn't look like I had anything to do with it.  I thought about asking her to forward this phish to me, but that would mean I would get phished, wouldn't I?  What concerns me is whether she continues to believe I bear some responsibility.  Again, I want to be a man about this, but I don't want to take blame if it's not my fault -- and I don't think it is.  To be continued, I guess.

---

Meanwhile, I ran into another fellow alum at last/Wednesday night's United FC Match.  I actually saw him first in passing on the concourse, but I don't think he recognized me, and I couldn't remember his name until he passed me by.

But then, as I was sitting in my seat, I saw him again.  He was going to his seat which was just a couple rows ahead of me.  I shouted his name at him and we chatted very briefly, about a minute.  I stammered through what I said, which consisted of "Hi" and "How ya doin'?"  I said I'd let him go to watch the rest of the Match (which was about go to Halftime, great timing there) and that I'd catch up with him to say goodbye, presumably, after the Match was over.  But when the Match was over, he and his son bolted up and went down the stairs.  I screamed at him goodbye, but even with the loudness of the place as the fans were about to sing "Wonderwall," I don't know how he didn't hear me.  Maybe he didn't.  Or maybe he heard something about me he didn't like, and that's why he hasn't said anything to me for the past several years.

Maybe I'll try and reach out to him and say it was nice running into him.  Or, maybe that's not the smart thing to do 'cause he doesn't want me to reach out to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment