Monday, August 21, 2023

Password Fatigue

You've been through resetting your password, right -- either because you forgot or because the site says it's time?  Well, a few days ago I had to change my password for this, uh, work-related website.  And it got complicated because either I set up two-way authentication or the website forced me to.  Anyway, I also forgot the password, so for a good, oh, 60 minutes over the course of two days I was toggling between my phone and my laptop, clicking "Forgot password?" then "Send code," in order to put in a new password.

And when I get to picking a new password ... I couldn't think of one.  I can never think of one.  They're hard!  And I dread whenever I need to pick a new one because I'm not ... creative like that.  I can't just make one out of thin air.  You know they say that the best passwords are the ones you remember?  I don't know how picking random characters (or a random series of words) will help me remember.  And that is why it's so damn agonizing for me.

I have a password manager I have downloaded, Bitwarden.  I actually downloaded it months ago, but I haven't even opened it, let alone set up an account or asked for it to, uh, manage my passwords.  I looked at a tutorial on how to use it, and it was damn confusing.  I might need to watch it again, but it might not help.  I am really scared as to how it'll, like, sync up the passwords when I use an app and when I go on its analogous website on my computer.  Finally, I am very, very scared that the whole thing won't work and that will leave me unable to access all the places where I need to put in a username and password.  And so I'm "stuck" with the passwords I may or may not remember for each and every single website that requires one.

For this work-related website I had an out.  Turns out that the password I needed to make up doesn't need special characters.  That helps a lot, put it that way.  And I made one up and everything is fine ... even though I needed to get in there for an online tutorial last week that got delayed because their PowerPoint presentation went up in smoke or something.  By the time they reschedule that Zoom, I probably will have forgotten that new password.  FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment