Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Yeah, What I Said Totally Sounds Racist

So I was sitting next to this Latino guy for the stupid-crazy MNUFC Leagues Cup Eighthfinal.  As the Loons blew a 2-0 lead (again), I was, of course, dreading the worst.  (They didn't choke; they actually won in Penalty Kicks.)  So I was talking to this guy about the Match, and then the team, and then Minnesota teams.

The Loons were playing Toluca, an historically-important side from Liga MX, the Mexican professional top-flight soccer league.  I don't know this for sure, but when an All-Star team of Liga MX players came up to Allianz Field last Year for the Major League Soccer All-Star Game, I was told by my season-ticket representative that there was a huge influx of Liga MX fans coming here from out of the area, which I assume is the metro area, if not the state of Minnesota.  So, not quite knowing if he is a local, I blurt out, while talking about the sorry knack our teams have of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory: "But ... are you from here?"

And I knew that sounded racist even before he said, "I'm from Woodbury."

Maybe he didn't notice.  Maybe he took it as I intended it, a question as to whether he drove into the Twin Cities, supposedly like other fans who are not United FC fans, to watch.  I don't think he got pissed with me.  But God, am I slapping myself in the head in my mind.  This bad week of self-sabotage continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment