Saturday, August 12, 2023

Bad Day ... Yeah, Turned Worse

Slept through my alarm yesterday morning.  My boss woke me up when he called me at 9:30, 90 minutes after I should have been at work.  I had to run and drive like hell to make it by 10 because, apparently, if I am two hours late for work, company policy orders me to not come in at all.  Made it with three minutes to spare.

It obviously is embarrassing to show up late to work, an grown-up thing, because you overslept, which is something one does when you're in high school.  Man, all the times I woke up late and ran out the door, only to see the bus drive away from me as I was yelling at it to stop. ...  That feeling of shame made me put my head down and just work.  I still had to put in my eight hours (or so -- I'll talk about that next paragraph) regardless, but it doesn't feel good to get in when everybody else is well into their workday, and you were supposed to be well into yours.  Have to say, though, that I'm glad no one at work gave me shit about it, even my boss.  They just let me put my head and work.

With that being said, my boss unfortunately brought up my overtime again.  I actually have been cutting down on OT ever since he, uh, bitched about it in that e-mail a couple weeks ago.  Please believe me when I say that that cutting down is a result of a relative lack of work, not because I'm starting to work faster because I got scared.  Didn't matter to my boss, however; in an e-mail I guess he planned on sending me regardless of when I came in yesterday, he "saw an opportunity" whereby he, uh, invited me to finish up and leave early if I could so that I would be under his allowable amount of overtime.  I say "his allowable amount of overtime" because, even though I said I was open to suggestions, I also said I will do the work as fast and as accurately and as complete as possible.  (I said as much in my reply to him.)  I didn't agree to any damn thing specifically.  I also say "if I could" because I couldn't.  A lot of new forms came in for me to work, which is weird for a Friday.  And although I was able to leave within about eight hours (and considering the mound of paperwork I had, I think my productivity was high, at least for that day), he wanted me to leave early to get down to 40 hours, and I didn't.

So now I wonder if he's mad, or if he's going to make changes.  As I have said before, there are only two other people who can do what I do.  One of them is my supervisor, and she is already stretched to the limit.  The other is on extended leave.  It's just me, and I am getting the feeling my boss really isn't liking it.  I was hoping he was encouraged by the lessening amount of OT I've given him the past couple weeks.  I guess I'm wrong, and that is added stress at the end of the day that began late because I was late.

No comments:

Post a Comment