Tuesday, September 19, 2023

The Food I Eat And The Weight I Gain

I complain to exhaustion -- privately, possibly incorrectly -- that the weight I have packed on my belly is because my parents keep feeding me food.  Well, if they're gone, that means there is no pressure to eat the food they give me.  So I should be able to finally get my weight under control and maybe even start losing weight, something I have desperately wanted to do.  Right?

Well, about that. ...  Like I have said many times before here on WAF, I have come to accept that when I am free of being given food by my parents, I instead go out and eat as much fast food and fancy food as my heart can devour.  I did it last/Monday night.  I was going to eat in, but dammit, it was National Cheeseburger Day.  Well, I have to celebrate National Cheeseburger Day!  Both McDonald's and Burger King had specials for their cheeseburgers; the former was selling them for only 50 cents, the latter was giving them away for free if you purchase something else for at least a buck.  So I went to Mickey D's to eat a cheeseburger and cookies for dessert (I was so busy at work that I had more than half of my coffee left to drink.  Pairing that with cookies was a no-brainer.)  I then went through the drive-thru after I put in my mobile order for BK (using the Wi-fi at Mickey D's), for a cheeseburger and a new wrap that they had.  I ate the two cheeseburgers, that wrap and, later, the cookies and the rest of my coffee, no problem.  Whether I needed to ... well, probably not.  After not having anything for breakfast and eating the last of the bananas that my parents left for me as an afternoon snack, I wasn't really starving.  I think I packed on the pounds today.

My folks have been gone a week, and it's possible, even likely, that I'm eating more now that they're gone.  A lot of it is on me.  For example, I went through with my plan to order a large pizza from Pizza Hut and eat it while watching football.  I ate the whole thing.  Frankly, I have eaten whole pizzas in the past, and I wanted to see if I could still do it.  Well -- I still got it!

I know eating all this stuff can't continue.  But -- and I am not using this as an excuse -- my parents have left a lot of food for me.  The more aggravating part of this is all the perishable stuff that I feel compelled to consume now, even though I don't want to.  I talked about the banana I took with me to work yesterday/Monday.  Well, they left four of them for me.  I like bananas, but not enough to eat them daily, and the skin was browning real quick.  So I ate one on Friday (or was it Saturday?), and I threw in the other two to make a smoothie I hadn't planned on making until I found time to work out.  That meant buying the other ingredients, like yogurt and frozen fruit.  On the other hand, another ingredient is milk, and my folks left a lot of whole milk for me to drink.  Unfortunately, even when pouring as much milk as I could into the blender without overfilling it, I still have a lot left.  And since I'm now totally convinced I'm lactose intolerant, I don't know when or even if I can finish the milk.  Meanwhile, that gallon of milk is sitting diagonally from the blender of the smoothie, two-thirds of which I have yet to go through.  And the frozen fruit is chilling in the freezer.

Oh yeah ... like they have done the last few times they've wintered in Las Vegas, my folks have prepared a lot of stuff they have frozen for me to eat over the intervening months.  This time they went all out.  There are ribs and beef and pork.  And this time around they've also froze for me fried rice and mashed potatoes and spaghetti sauce whenever I want to cook pasta to go with it.  I am grateful that they cared enough to leave food for me.  But I'm not sure they understand how much of a compulsion it is for me to eat out on my own.  That is a problem if they come back half a year from now and see any, and I mean any, food they left for me still in the freezer.  When they came back in the spring, they had a cow that I hadn't eaten a box of friggin' Hot Pockets they bought, presumably for me, on sale.  Their conniption fit was somewhat humorous, and somewhat not.  I don't think it matters; as long as it's frozen, it's edible, so why would they be so upset if they came back in the spring to see food still left over?  They can take it out, thaw it, and serve it for dinner that all three of can enjoy!

I may be going off on a tangent here.  All that food doesn't have a lot to do with the thrust of this blog post, which is me gaining weight eating food even though my parents aren't here.  But note that there is a lot of food, and I might be complaining some time during the winter of all the food that's still in the freezer because I chose to buy the food I chose to get fat on.

No comments:

Post a Comment