Clearly, Reeve was conceding this Game to work on her team. No worries; their magic number to clinch Home Court remains at 1. I think a result more representative of what the team truly is was Friday's ten-Point victory at a Washington Mystics outfit that is big enough down low to give the Lynx fits. They're still the best team in the WNBA. So even though they can't get above negative numbers, overall I still think they're the best team in local sports.
The big variable comes up after Sunday afternoon's tilt at Atlanta and new acquisition Dewanna Bonner, another big and beefy club Minnesota has to watch out for. The entire league will take an almost-three-Week break for the FIBA Women's World Cup with the Lynx having only four Games left in the regular season.
#-2: Gopher soccer (Last Week: -1). On Thursday in Fargo, the U. came back from a 1-0 Second Half deficit in just 46 Seconds, then 7:20 later, they took the lead on a Penalty Kick that turned out to be the Game-winner. Both Goals were scored by Ava Westlund.
Impressive. And yes, the Gopher soccer squad went "undefeated" this Week. Plus, technically, they're still unbeaten this season. I still don't believe that they're a good team, though, and until I see more Wins or even Draws in Games I expected them to tie or lose, I'll keep them as the middling club I have pre-conceived them to be. And that's why I have them below the Lynx. But there is an opportunity for Minnesota to make some more noise because tonight/Thursday night they visit 15th-ranked BYU. (I take back what I said in last Week's WMNSS, when I derisively said the Gophs' Tie with Georgia is the only notable non-conference Match they'll play this Year. But, swear to Buddha, I didn't see the Cougars on the schedule until now.) They then come home to host St. Thomas Sunday afternoon.
#-3: United FC (Last Week: -2). OK, where in the fuck did Saturday night's 5-1 rout at San Jose come from?? Kelvin Yeboah got a brace. Joaquin Pereya tied the Match at 1 with ... what's called a rabona? I've seen several replays and still don't understand what the hell happened. Anyway, newly-installed starter Marcus Caldeira scored. So did Mauricio Gonzalez to cap the scoring. And the Loons won in Major League Soccer play for the first time since May 2, a stretch of nine winless. It seems obvious these guys play a shit ton better on the road.
Based on tie-breakers, MNUFC are still out of the playoff picture, but Points-wise, they're in a four-way tie for seventh, so all is not lost. But Saturday night they play Antoine Griezmann and Orlando City, another team clinging onto postseason hopes. And United FC is playing at home, which may be a troubling omen.
#-4: Twins (Last Week: 0). This may be the screening Week that puts them out of the playoff race for good. Not when they got swept in San Diego, then lost two-of-three in Sacramento ... excuse me, West Sacramento to the cromulent (cityless) Athletics. Believe it or not they're still in this; the Twinks are four Games behind ALWC3, which is not-so-great Cleveland. But there are four squads ahead of them, so the chances are high one of those teams is going to catch fire and capture the last postseason berth. Can they turn it around in a Week-long homestand against two divisional foes, the AL Central-leading White Sox and fellow playoff hopeful Detroit?
No comments:
Post a Comment