Sunday, July 5, 2015

Long Weekend, Longer Week?

The downside to long weekends?  Long weekends end.  Normal weekends end, too.  But there's nothing like anticipating a long weekend, especially, in this case, Thursday afternoon, when you feel like you're free and you don't have to worry about working for The Man forever.  A two-day weekend you know you have to go back to work.  But not a three-day weekend.  It's like a bonus just for living.  And you don't worry about that Monday.

Until Sunday comes.  Then reality hits you, hard.  That's why I hate long weekends; you have many more free days that you miss once they're gone.  With two-day weekends you know you have just oh-so-long to enjoy yourself before you're back in the suck.  An extra day lulls you into thinking that you're free forever, and once you remember that you're not, you get more depressed than you would after a typical workweek.

I'm that way now.  I'm anticipating the Women's World Cup Final but also dreading the possibility (real, I believe, even if Five Thirty Eight says that Team USA has a 2-in-3 chance of winning) that they'll lose and I'll be all shitty coming home tonight.  Also, it's humid, and although I respect that humidity is a part of summer, it still blows.  But worst of all is that this particular phase of our project will wind down this week.  It was initially projected to be Thursday, but we've worked so fast (too fast) that we will start training for the next phase Wednesday.  That brings back all the anxiety from training for the first phase, where I was thisclose to disqualifying and thus losing my job.  There is no reason why it couldn't happen this time around.  I'm going to get all terrified and shit again.

And oh yeah, I had one more blindside pulled on me.  There were supposed to be three phases to this project.  But, because it's their prerogative, they have taken away the third and final phase of the project and gave it to other people.  That means that once we're done with this second phase (assuming I pass), we're done.  Period.  Project over, and I think work for the season over, too.

The first week of August was the drop-dead date.  I did the calculations; I could safely assume that we would have work through about July 15.  The supervisor said that the second phase would get over by the end of this month.  But that isn't what the pace is telling me.  If we keep up our work rate, we'll be done by July 24.  Which, although it's past the 15th, still really sucks.

Oh, I still haven't totally made up my mind about the flu biller place, but I don't think I'm going back.  Maybe tell you more later.

---

Should throw in a prediction: Japan beats the U.S. in penalty kicks.  I'm a pessimist like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment