Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cell Phones: Vibrate Or Not Vibrate?

I hate cell phones. If you put it on vibrate you can never hear them when you're doing something. Yet if you put them on loud and it goes off in a library or a movie theater, people will look like you farted -- which has also happened, but anyway:

My phone was on vibrate, but I kept it on in case my parents needed something. I was at the local coffeeshop for some coffee, but I park at the produce shop across the street because the coffee place's parking makes you reverse, and I hate reversing. Anyway, I get home, scrape the snow off the bottom of my rusting car (there wasn't a whole of snow, thank Buddha, because it was really cold so there was no slush and there hasn't been a whole lot of snow for the past few days so there wasn't a whole of snow to deal with on the roads, even though it was supposed to snow 1-4" which caused me to cancel and then un-cancel an appointment ... anyway), open the garage door, help open the garage door because the motor is old and is no longer strong enough, drive into the garage and turn off the engine.

That's when I look down at my phone: voicemail. Goddamn, it's someone calling from the house needing something from the produce shop, isn't it? Yes it is -- it's my mother needing tomatoes. So I sigh, turn on my engine, back the fuck out of the garage and shut the garage door remotely.

But that's when I hear some screaming. It's my mom. I can tell it was her screaming; I hear it when she's yelling at me or my father. She's running out of the house, in below-freezing temperatures, to tell me that my grandmother found tomatoes in the fridge ... and that if I was just dashing to the greengrocer's, don't bother closing the garage door. Sigh. So I have to get out of the car to help open up the garage door, park the car back in the garage and just fucking get inside.

So how is this fucked up?
  • I turn on my phone and I still can't answer calls because I forget to fucking take it off vibrate while I'm driving.
  • If a garage door motor burns out, like my father says, I made it crank its chain one more time than was necessary. Poor garage door motor.
  • I start my engine to back out onto, then back drive off of, my driveway. Every time you turn on your car, the oil starts to get dirty unless you drive the car fast and long enough to boil the impurities away. Since I didn't, I have to drive somewhere far and quickly tomorrow or else the oil and then my engine will fucking turn into sludge.

Vibrate or not vibrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment