Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Our Nation Is Getting Our First Black President And I'm Running Around Getting Free Cosmetics?

Saw this on the news yesterday but didn't think anything of it because neither my mom or grandmother uses much makeup. But my sister does, and even though she's half a world away, she contacted my mom about contacting me about getting these free cosmetics as a result of that class action lawsuit.

Where was I? Across the metro at one of only two car washes in the Twin Cities I trust. Where was I when I could have gotten my mother's voicemail earlier? A hell of a lot closer to home. But when I turned on my cellphone after leaving the library I didn't check to see if I got any messages till I was at the car wash 20 minutes away. There began my adventure where I went home, picked up my grandmother, went to the other end of the metro area, stood in line (where, surprisingly, there were other guys lining up, told to do so by someone female, I presume), put my signature on a sheet of paper and picked up some body gel, mascara or cream that one is supposed to use only during the day or night. Y'all agree that the lines were long but moved incredibly quickly, right?

I wanted to be home for the extended network evening news, and so when I was told to come home to start this journey I was beyond pissed, but three things made me wise up: 1) With all the running around I had to do I knew I was going to be run ragged by the time I get home even if I did get home in time; 2) Let's just say that the stores were going on trust and therefore I let my emotions go and focused on getting free stuff; 3) Like I mentioned in my previous post, I was so tired the morning of that there was a likelihood I wasn't going to see all the Inaugural coverage I planned to see (and I didn't; I fell asleep around 8:30 and woke up around 12:30).

I printed out a list of specific giveaway items my sister wanted and put it in my coat. But there were a lot of other papers and receipts in there, so I threw those in my room. When I was at the mall, I couldn't find it in my coat. I just about threw a fit at Macy's because I printed out that list only to put it in my room. But when I get home for good I realize that it wasn't in my coat pocket but my shirt pocket. I actually made my grandmother wait while I wrote down the list on a public-use Macbook at the Apple Store.

I wonder if the stores intentionally conducted the giveaway on Inauguration Day in hopes they could sneak it under the people's noses. FAIL. If there's anything people will always line up for, it's free shit, and I assume a lot of them cheered for Obama and still had time to get their free fragrance or moisturizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment