Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Death Of My Shopping Mall

About my impromptu trip to the local mall on Sunday. ...

Passed by Steve & Barry's on my way in. I saw in visits past that the store was being cleared out, but this it was being cleaned out with the help of moving vans. I peered through the interior entrance to what once was S&B's -- nothing but shelves. I had a feeling when I first saw this shop, waded through the college-themed items and the rock-bottom prices that this store chain wasn't going to last. It's like a shoe store some time ago called Just For Feet: Too much crap for too little price points. And it just gave off this fly-by-night stench. I was right in thinking this place wasn't going to last. I wonder how Sarah Jessica Parker feels.

But what I was surprised of was that the Gap was closing, too. Why? There won't be another Gap within 15 minutes of me, but I guess that wasn't enough to keep this place open. Now I know Gap Co. have had some troubles the last half-decade or so, but never in my wildest dreams did I think this location would go under. Maybe I should have known. Sad; where am I going to get my cheap boxers and socks now? (Mental note: Get a pair of $16 jeans soon. No, I don't think I should be spending money. But I like to think of it as a condolensce gift.)

Walking through the rest of the mall I couldn't help but notice so many big signs on so many stores advertising "Clearance." Man, this is a great time to buy shit ... if you have the money. I just hope none of these guys follows Steve & Barry's and Gap. It's a good mall -- lost my car keys there once, but that's not her fault -- and I'm already scared that losing an anchor tenant and a well-known clothing chain will make people compare it to a truly dying mall close by, Brookdale. Any more and we officially can call my mall a FAILED mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment