Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Historic Weather Day

One of those archetypal fall days -- totally overcast, even darkly cloudly, jacket weather.  Too bad it was very windy today.  Like, really, really, really windy.  Like unprecedented windy.  The state set a record for lowest pressure ever.  I guess that's the cause of the incredible gusts we've been having all day.

The barometric pressure, as I read on the news today, is essentially the weight of the air above us.  When the pressure's low, that means the air's light.  And I guess that means the pressure above us is very low.  I learned very little from my science classes, but one of the things I do know is that all natural phenomena go from high to low, including pressure.  So the winds, I guess, go from areas of high pressure to low pressure.  And the lower the pressure, the easier it is to move in, therefore the quicker it gets here, therefore the winds coming in have gusted to 40, 50, 60 miles per hour.

I was feeling great when I woke up this afternoon at 12:30 to the sound of the door opening and closing.  Oh shit, My Father's here.  Never saw him and we didn't speak a word while he was here.  (Didn't say anything or act pissy towards me during dinner, thank Buddha.)  So that meant I could go about a half-hour later and watch The Social Network.

Quick review of the movie: If you don't like Aaron Sorkin scripts, you won't like this one.  And Fincher doesn't really put his directoral imprint on this; this seems like a film any craftsman can do, not just an artist like Fincher.  The story's the thing.  Ever since I heard they were making this movie I've been interested in how facebook came about.  And so I was mostly fascinated by the depiction of how the site came to be.  And if it is true, Mark Zuckerberg's an antisocial dick, Sean Parker is a goddamn motherfucker, and even Larry Somers, back to becoming President of Harvard, comes off as uncaring windbag.

The movie did feel a little long and slow, but that could've just been me.  I was sitting up at one point, and I felt myself lurching farther over than I intended to.  And then I figured out my head was a little light.  I was able to keep my attention on the TSN, but after it was over and I started to gather my trash, I was still light-headed.  When I got up, I felt top-heavy, like an out-of-control balloon at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  I was, at one point, very scared that I wouldn't have the clear head to drive home.

But I did.  And I felt good enough to make my pre-dinner run for coffee.  I decided I wanted to go to Barnes & Noble because I hadn't been there in a long time, I wrote and sent in my article already, and I wanted to browse through some magazines because I like doing that and I hadn't done that in a long time.  I needed to go through the Internet one more time; however the light-headedness came back with a vengeance.  I didn't really know if going to the coffeehouse was a really good idea.

However, I left the car out in the driveway intending to leave, and I hate turning my engine on just to drive it into the garage.  So, despite not feeling well, I went, had coffee, came back, still felt like shit when we had pork chops for dinner, and I decided to sleep.

I don't know why, but at the first sign of summer becoming winter, my body, uh, switches.  It's not a good adjustment -- I get really, really tired and cranky, and I think I also get fat.  My body seems to shut down or slow my metabolism when it gets really cold outside, and this is definitely cold weather.  So maybe the cause of my light-headedness is my body, related to the weather.  Or, it's the low pressure, also related to the weather.

Whatever the case, I've always found that turning on my heater and sleeping it off helps much of my ills.  An environment where my body has time to repair itself in heat makes me feel much better afterward.  Even though I missed the results show of Dancing With The Stars 11 (Audrina Patridge got kicked off?!), my light-headedness is gone.  For the most part.

The downside is that I missed a friend's friend who wanted to hang out tonight.  He's leaving tomorrow morning.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment