Monday, December 12, 2011

Filling In Windshield Chips Is Cool!

On the 1st I got a nasty fucking chip on windshield. Was driving to work and this fucking van about 30 or 40 yards in front of me kicked up this rock that made a direct hit on the lower-middle part of my windshield. Immediately made an almost-perfect circle with a dot in the middle, kind of like the first symptom of Lyme disease.

Fortunately, my car insurance (still being paid by my parents) provides comprehensive windshield coverage. In fact, they said that they don't need to replace the whole thing, just put some resin in the chip to cover it up. I thought that was a gimmick and only a short-term fix, and that when the resin stops working the windshield was just going to crack wide open. But no -- I guess. This auto body shop I trust referred me to their windshield replacement arm, and they said they could do it.

They woke me up this afternoon to file the claim. Hopefully it'll go through without incident, and hopefully my folks won't get bent out of shape, and that this won't mean a hike in the cost of the policy. Anyway, the mobile guy came in a spiffy neat red Ford XLT. He drilled directly into the hole in the raised blister chip, heated up the area around it, applied a suction around the chip, pumped resin into the chip, and used a black light to set it. After using a razor to cut down on the overflow resin bump, he gave me paperwork and he was on his way. Cool guy. I hope he's making a decent living doing this. I wonder if I could do it.

Anyway, the windshield on the car is fixed. Now, to everything else.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing. You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to my study at this moment, and I am really happy I discovered your website. However, I would like to see more details about this topic.


    windshield repair

    ReplyDelete