Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Best Christmas Song I Had Not Heard Of -- And I Bet You Haven't Heard It Either

The thing about working at a mall for the holiday season is that you hear Christmas music every single second you're there. It's obviously annoying; I'm so glad my brother got me an iPod. But you can't help but listen. So I know basically every single Christmas song that exists, and you know what? Even though I'm sick of the four versions of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" I hear at least once a night (there's the original Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald version, one with Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey, one with Michael Bublé and one other) and there's one twisted rocked-out version of "Blue Christmas" that is a mistake, I heard a Christmas song I had never heard of that is completely awesome: "Sock It To Me, Santa."

It's a take-off of James Brown's "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag," including the guitar riff and the "ba-da!" from that song, only adapted for the season. But it felt like a song made today or recently, just with a retro feel put on it. When I googled it, however, I was shocked, absolutely shocked, that "Sock It To Me, Santa" was made all the way back in 1966. And it was made by, of all people, Bob Seger:


This song is 45 years old and it sounds like new. That is the hallmark of an awesome song, Christmas or not. This replaces "Against The Wind" as my favorite Seger song.

Before it's too late: Merry Christmas, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment