Monday, January 2, 2012

My Final Day At My Mall Job Was A Frustrating One

So all I was supposed to do was clean up this department. And I thought I was doing it just fine. But then the guy who was doing the register started complaining to the other clean-up guy. Apparently we were doing something he didn't like, namely adding to his workload.

I had the bad luck to do this while moving shirts that were in my way onto this pile close to the cash register, which was the added work he was complaining to the other guy about. So he then came down on me. He seemed like a nice guy the minute I started working in the department an hour or two before, but now he was bizarrely upset over what I thought were innocuous actions.

I got away from him and situation, did what I was doing down at one end of the department, and tried to think of a way to diffuse the situation. What I thought of doing is explaining that I too have priorities and that I was only doing what my supervisor supervisor for the day told me to do. Big mistake: He was having none of it, only complaining about all the work he would have to do now because of us.

I really, really did not like his attitude and his tone of voice when speaking to me. A man who appeared to be nice turned out to be nothing more than a whiny little bitch. It was very hard to keep my frustration down as I had to alter what I was doing and hang up all the shirts that were piling up on the cash register. Doing that prevented me from cleaning up the department -- which I believe to be the fucking that I was hired to do in the first fucking place.

---

Moreover, I didn't get done. I don't know exactly what needed to be done, and there was the complication that there were supposed to be three people working the department and one of us didn't show up.

But I realized when I returned from my last break, with 20 minutes left in my shift, that we were nowhere near cleaning up the department. In fact, one big eyesore, the shirts on the cubes, was a spot that not only I didn't really start, but really didn't even think of to do.

So I spent the rest of my shift clearing the tops and shoving the shirts into the cubicles. But my main duty was to sort the shirts for inventory. It was just about useless to throw different styles of shirts into the same cube, but because I didn't want to get into trouble for leaving a mess, that is exactly what I did.

We needed more time to clean up the department; another day and I could've done it right. But as far as I know, I'm not coming back, which means, in fact, that New Year's Day was the last day I worked at the mall. And after my supervisor supervisor sees that all I did was shove shirts willy-nilly, I will never come back. I feel bad; he seemed like a really nice guy, and he gave me the opportunity to work a little more after my job working nights with my old supervisor supervisor got done. He'll think I'm nothing but a lying asshole, sadly.

---

And to top it all off, my parents come home tonight! And I haven't finished shoveling the sidewalk!! And the journey to The Death Of The Store resumes!!! Yay!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment