Monday, January 23, 2012

Me And My Folks

On Friday I told my folks that I would be doing stuff on Saturday. Now, this is a Friday. Not only have I done things with friends on the weekends because I'm, uh, human -- they have never liked me going out, but I've done it for so long I've kind of beat them into submission -- there was nothing going on on Saturday ... well, Chinese New Year's Eve was Sunday, and there was always a big dinner going on then (we seem to celebrate Eve more than Chinese New Year's Day, as if it's more important). I admit I'm not versed in all the traditions behind Chinese New Year's, so there could be something important to do Saturday, but I was never taught or told this by my parents.

Anyway, I tell both parents this is our small kitchen, and My Fucking Father immediately stops washing the dishes and looks at me in frustration. What, he was making plans? Plans he didn't tell me about -- like he usually doesn't???

So I angered the Old Man again, and once again I don't know for what. I could cancel; I wanted to hang out at the roller derby bout with my friend and her husband, but they're cool enough that if I need to cancel, they won't get bent out of shape. Contrast that to Father.

So I go, "What's wrong? Did you have something planned?" Father hesitated, like he wanted to say something.

"What? What is it? If there is something, I'll cancel. No problem!" I said -- no, insisted.

Then Mother, between us and working on some food, said, "No, not a problem. We are doing nothing."

I wasn't having any of this shit. I knew they had something planned for Saturday. "I don't believe you. What's going on?"

Mother said again, "Nothing," and Father muttered something under his breath before he went back to the dishes. I wanted to push the issue further -- I wanted to prove I could be a good Chinese boy! -- but as always, they turtle back into silence, probably springing their passive-aggressive revenge some other time when I least expect it. Well, if there are no plans for tomorrow, I'll just stick to mine of going with my friend to roller derby. After this minute-long standoff, I quit talking about the subject.

---

Yesterday was Chinese New Year's Eve. They made some noodles. Not like buying something, but it wasn't the elaborate pig and fish we had in Chinese New Year's Eves past. I still think they had something planned for Saturday because Mother works Sundays.

They're going to get me back.

---

I left my colored pens, the ones I use to track my days, at The Store, so I tried swinging by there to pick them up on Friday. They were closed. Where's Father?

---

Oh, and I haven't had to help him get anything for The Store in the past two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment