Thursday, November 22, 2012

Addendum To: Oh, It's The Pressure Regulator! Yeah, That Makes Sense. The Pressure Regulator. Sure, That's What It Has To Be, And All That Is, Right?

I thought the pressure regulator was going to be an expensive part.  When dealing with getting my car fixed in the past, I've heard that a strut spring, a power steering hose, and the low oil level light sensor would all cost around $500, not including labor.  Barring multi-problem things or just replacing the whole engine or transmission, these seem to be the most expensive parts on a car to replace.  That would still suck for me, but I would at least know how much it cost and take steps to absorb the financial blow.

Well, I just checked the prices for a pressure regulator for my car, and guess what?  The part itself costs ... less than $100.  Great, huh?

Uh, not exactly.  First, I Googled signs for what makes a bad pressure regulator.  One of the big signs is black smoke coming out of the exhaust.  I don't see that, at least not yet.  Another sign is rough idling, and while it's not smooth now, The Mechanic Around The Corner virtually eliminated the bad thudding when the car was accelerating and stopped at a light/sign.  So maybe it isn't the pressure regulator.

And this still doesn't erase my feelings of mistrust toward these guys.  They could still rip me off, or at least be way over their heads in dealing with this.  They still could say that they are going to fix this but add, "We also found something else. ..."  I still have to gird myself to the possibility that I'm still going to get reamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment