Tuesday, May 20, 2014

They Don't Respect Me!

So I'm training these guys on this questions, a really tough, abstract one.  Unfortunately due to how fast and slow the separate teams are going, I'm not training this question to my people, the ones who know me and, I guess, like me.

Instead, I had to train in one of the faster and I believe better groups in the room.  They're whipsmart, a combination of both fast and accurate.  Already I was intimidated because I didn't know how or even if these new people would warm up to me and the way I train -- or not train, to be honest.  That I'm introducing them to a weird question like the one I picked won't help.

I thought it was good.  They were laughing at my jokes, and hopefully they weren't laughing at me when I was telling them.  But I finally got pushback when I was going through the examples.  These are real papers that me and my boss, using the rules we were given, gave a certain score point.  I tried to explain to the room why we decided to give them the grade we gave them, and ... let's just say their esteem for me didn't seem to rise.  (Maybe being self-deprecating wasn't the best thing to do because it invited them to regard me even less, but that's another story.)  I tried my best to explain my reasoning to those who disagreed with me, I then said it was me and my boss deciding this, and then I was honest and said that we are making our best educated guesses using the rules and our experience doing this, but their mileage may vary.

I don't think that appeased them.  One of the members of this new team pointed out things I didn't even fucking notice, like how this one tiny phrase in this one paper was taken from a question that had nothing to do with the story.  Good eye, but how the hell am I supposed to pick up on that?  But what's worse is that, when my co-worker volunteered to pass out a sheet trying to map out what specifically they should look for (something I didn't do, partly because I wouldn't know where to start, partly because I didn't see the point of quantifying things for a question that is not quantifiable), I distinctly remember another of the team members shooting me a look.  I've seen that often from her, a really smart woman, but one who probably is mean.  That look I would describe as ... incredulousness, like she was saying, "How in the hell did this guy get this job?"

They don't respect me.  I could see it in their eyes and hear it in their tone.  They haven't even asked me any more questions.  Probably because they don't respect me.  Well, fuck.

Why am I giving these guys chocolates tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment