Monday, May 19, 2014

I Have All These Things That Are Up In The Air, Then Poof! It's Gone!

So this is the eve of what will be the last week of my current testing project.  It's been almost six weeks since I started this.  It's been a part of my life.  I've come back after doing it the first time four years ago because of how deep you get into it, and, and I hope this doesn't come off as hokey, the camaraderie you develop with the people you work with week after week.

This time, in my promoted role, has been different.  There are a lot of things I need to do, all of them a lot different than what I've had to do before, and those tasks seem to change from week to week.  But, as we make the final turn toward home, I have realized something: I don't really have anything to do, at least right now.  All the preparations -- well, at least most of them -- are over.  I certainly could be wrong, but right now I'm looking at post-game assessments and ... well, I don't know.  All this running around I did, especially last week, and now I think I'll just be sitting around and shit.

That doesn't mean I don't have anything to do.  Well, I should be more specific: There's a lot of stuff that I'm worried about.  Most importantly, I had ordered chocolates for the room.  I get it Tuesday after work, so I could present it Wednesday.  But much to my surprise, we are going through these answers so quickly that, my supervisor's predictions aside, there is a chance that we'll get done by Tuesday.  If that's the case, I would have bought chocolates, up to 75 pieces, for no one.  I don't know if I can cancel it at this date; I'm busy during work hours, of course, and that's the only time their customer service department's open, and they were closed on the weekend.  But, I don't know if I should cancel and it turns out that we will be around on Wednesday.  What's at risk is either giving away a goodbye present or wasting $83.

Another thing that I thought up last (Saturday) night: If we get done early enough, is it possible I can get surgery to get this seton out of my ass removed?  It's usually done on Thursdays, and there is very little chance that we get to Thursday.  I don't know if I can do it on such short notice, but I have to remember to call them in case they can.  And if I really am done before Thursday.  Again, with this new job, I have no idea when my job runs out.

Finally, I have to worry about unemployment.  I have nothing lined up after this (which means I should call the temp agencies to let them know I'm free) and if I can't scrounge up something for something starting the day after Memorial Day, this will end a streak of steady work that started early-to-mid September.  Now, I don't mind not working because that means I can catch up on all the stuff I haven't had time to do.  But I like working and the money that goes along with it.  Without that, I have to go back on the dole, and even though it's not the worst thing in the world -- God Bless the safety net! -- I want to work.  The only saving grace to all this is I have about three days to either find work, go back to college (no, I'm really thinking about it, really!), or get my story straight by the time my parents come home.  Can't believe how I would deal with the sudden change in my hours if they were here this week.

See, all of things I could do and/or need to do is up in the air.  All of this depends on timing, but once I know the timing all these things have to come together very quickly.  I am either able to do things or I'm not, and then I lose my job and I have to worry about finding work.  My life, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment