Thursday, May 1, 2014

Uh-Oh, She's About To Turn On Me

So one of the people on my team gut busted for keeping her cellphone on.  It was so distracting people were getting up and giving themselves a break.  Yet we weren't able to detect it because we thought it was coming from either the ceiling or outside when it all along was in her purse.  Cellphones have to be turned off in our room during work, no exceptions.  But my person made it worse when apparently (I was not there for any of this) she admitted she was trying to get away with keeping it on and then lipped off after she got caught.

My supervisor needed to dress her down after work and asked me to tell her to come talk to her after work.  So about 15 minutes before said end, I go up to her and tell her.

"Do you know what it's about?" she asked.  I had thought about what to say if she started asking questions.  But like most things, I ruminate over it for a little while, come to absolutely no conclusions, begin to space out, then forget and do other things until I remember I have to do it.  So I relied on my instincts when she asked me that probing question and, well, lied: "No."

"You don't?"

"No."

"Just tell me this: Is she a nice person?"

"Yes," I say immediately, and genuinely, "but she has a lot of responsibilities and a job to do."  I said this to insinuate that I in fact know what she did and what the nature of the after-work visit is about.  Saying that is also a way of telling her that she is not as bad as she will seem when she talks to her ... and, concurrently, that if she's trying to ask a which-side-are-you-on question, I'll side (at least for now) with the person who hired me.

But I did lie through my teeth when she asked me if I knew what that visit was going to be all about.  So I wonder, when I come back for work tomorrow, if she is going to confront me, saying, "You knew what she was going to talk about, don't you?"  I could try and lie to her again, or maybe say that I didn't quite know what the visit was going to be about, or say that I misspoke.  But let's just say that if you interacted with her, she is kind of ... odd.  I'll be frank: She looks like she either needs anxiety medication or is taking too much anxiety medication.  I like her, I really do, but she seems unstable, and I could certainly see her turning on me if she believes I lied to her.

I'm scared for work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment