Friday, May 30, 2014

All Too Much

The pressure and drive to get everything done before I had to pick up my parents tonight basically broke me.  I was imagining, in my most heavenly dreams, that I would have everything I needed done before Thursday evening and so I could relax and even take a nap before I went to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division).  But that was not to be.

I found work today.  For the first time in about a year, I think, I was a guinea pig in the University of Minnesota's MRI building.  Hadn't been sent into the tube in a long time.  Unfortunately it was that damn sadist looking at my kidneys again, so I had to endure more than three hours of this heavy curved plate weighing down my hips.  It took me a long time to breathe myself back into three dimensions.

I may have made a mistake in going to Taco Bell afterward.  I knew I had the rest of Mother's very good spaghetti to eat, as well as the leftover haystack of french fries I got when I went to Annie's Parlour in Dinkytown on Monday.  But I wanted to try Taco Bell's "Happier Hour," where a bunch of items are only a buck between 2 and 5 in the afternoon.  Although I only saw three of those Loaded Grillers being sold, there actually is a fourth one, a special one, that I ordered when I said "one of each."  Then, the weirdest thing: The guy ordering behind me, who kind of gave me the creeps because he was speaking very slowly when he ordered, asked the entire restaurant if they wanted the Loaded Griller who wasn't going to eat.  Not one to waste any food, or Taco Bell, I said yes, although I did later regret it because, hey, he might be crazy and he might have injected some, like, rat poison into it.  I inspected the Griller for holes or any tears to see if he may have opened it up to put something in it, but I didn't see anything.  And since I'm writing this overnight, I have yet to die from it.

Oh yeah -- spending 45 minutes here was 45 minutes not going home to water Mother's tomato plants (and not enduring mosquito bites, at least until I got to the backyard) or washing the dishes or folding the laundry.  (Set aside the fact that, to ensure that Mother wasn't upset that I didn't eat all of the food she prepared for me before going back to Las Vegas, I still had to eat the rest of the spaghetti, and to also ensure that Father didn't get upset I was wasting money on outside food, I had to eat all the fries before I picked them up tonight.)  In retrospect I could have used the time more wisely.  But hey, the last afternoon of freedom to me is being able to do something without their presence, and eating Taco Bell just before dinnertime counts.

Nevertheless I didn't quite get completely done with everything.  I had to rush through cleaning the dishes, but even then I didn't put them all away.  I got done with washing all my clothes, but right now the last two loads I did are unfolded in my hamper.  Finally, I failed to go through the papers and clean out my bedroom.  In fact, the only thing I was able to do was toss together newspapers and shit into two bags, then drive them out to storage.  Probably still isn't going to make a dent in the amount of debris still in my room, but I had to clear something out.

Some time this evening I felt my energy give way, replaced by a soul-sucking fatigue.  I thought I was going to be able to catch up on my sleep while in the MRI tube, but I think I passed out for only five minutes or so.  I really, really wanted to take a nap tonight, but I still had dishes to wash and laundry to take out of the dryer and newspapers I had to send to storage.  I powered through, but if you know me, when I get tired, I get irritable.  Very irritable.

So why am I staying up so late?  Because I have to plan for this new job I start in several hours.  A new job?  Yes!  I guess it's a saving grace; only a week of unemployment between the death of my test scoring position and the start of this new one, albeit temporary.  It's downtown, so parking's going to be a bitch, but in the end I will be coming out with some much-needed income.

One of my biggest worries was needing to explain why I don't get up so early in the day anymore.  I was still wrestling with that because I knew I still didn't have a good answer for that.  Now I don't have to worry about that because I actually have something to do.  Plus, the fact that this job starts the day after my folks come home is too coincidental not to take as a sign.  I had to do take this job.

Nevertheless I need to get some sleep in, lest I feel even more overwhelmed.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment