Sunday, January 4, 2015

His New Favorite

It is clear to me now that my boss favors the other temp, the male temp of The Two, over me.

Why?  How?  On Friday, before leaving for the day and weekend, he told me what I needed to do next for our project.  And, in no uncertain terms, he wanted to get this done Monday, so he wanted me to apply myself.  The implication was obvious: He didn't think I was applying myself before.

Have I not?  I'll say that I was busting my ass back in the fall, making sure all the other temps knew what the hell they were doing, answering all their questions and stressing over whether or not they're going to screw it up.  I was applying myself then -- so much so that I stayed after I should have during the work day.  And it was routine that I would have to stay 15, 30, 45, even 60 minutes before I was done.  So, to make up for it, I have been cutting out sooner in recent days.  OK, weeks.  I think I'm owed, frankly.  And besides, it's not as if other people don't do it.  Of course they do.

So yes, I decided I think I could take it easy.  No job is worth overworking yourself for.  Unfortunately, I think the male of The Two does overwork himself -- and I think, once again, my boss likes it.  Now, I guess he would have to hot-foot it, seeing as how they're working right next to each other.  But I think that my boss cottons to his overreactive, quasi-paranoid way he goes about his business.  This temp still has this nasty way of being curt with people, including my boss, but I think my boss likes that too.  Shows initiative.  (Oh, and the other workers love him, too.)  And I can see in his eyes that this guy is being sculpted in his image, not like how I was when I was trained by the guy who my boss was forced to let go.

The conclusion: He prefers him over me.  And if he had his druthers, he would cut me loose as soon as he only needs one.  Come to think of it, he could still do that, anytime.  The only things I have going for me are that the male of The Two doesn't know all the things I know, and I am pretty sure this temp hates talking to people.  That helps for me down the line, like next season.  I doubt he'll want to train people next year, and if he has to do customer service, forget it.  I hate doing it, but I have done it, and if it means having this job again, I'll do it.

Now, let's see how long I get to keep this job.

No comments:

Post a Comment