Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Latest In What's Wrong With My Car

I took my car to the auto body shop about a week before my parents came home.  Wanted to improve/fix my car while they were gone so they wouldn't bitch about, "Why are you fixing up your 20-year-old car?"

Turns out I did nothing except learn why the heating switch on the passenger seat no longer works.  Wanted them to remove the rust from my car, but the guy recommended that I wait till the spring, at least.  And while they found weatherstripping, it cost $550.  Even I wouldn't get that for my car.

But when I brought it home, and ever since, something's been off.  The car has started to sound a lot louder -- not like a muscle car engine, just louder.  Moreover, sometimes when I started my car I saw white smoke emanate from underneath the hood.  Finally, this weird thing where I'll be going along at a steady speed and then it seems as if my engine cuts off or has trouble accelerating, just for half a second, before I can step on the gas pedal again, has come back (I swear I've had it before).

Once I saw white smoke billowing out from under the hood, I had enough.  I called and he thought it was an exhaust leak.  And sure enough, when I brought it in, he pointed out the place where a pipe broke and was billowing out poisonous exhaust.

So that's where my car's at now.  I woke up really early in the morning on a Saturday, unbeknownst to my parents, and am bopping around downtown right now as the mechanics replace the flex pipe and try to diagnose this stalling/misfiring issue, as well as this right tire they say needs looking at.  I don't think it's going to cost me an arm and a leg, but I'm kind of close to my credit limit and my payment is tomorrow.  I just want to make sure I get my car before they close tonight, so my parents don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment