Saturday, January 10, 2015

OK, Now I Know When I'll Lose My Job. For Reals

I say that because I was told by my temp agency on Friday.  Technically my last day was supposed to be yesterday, but I was in the middle of something, so, just to make absolutely sure I would not be the last person to know that I'm being let go, I was going to ask my boss at some point during the day if I'm sticking around.

I got done with this thing I was "in the middle of," and when I went over to tell the boss, I was told he had already left for the weekend.  Guess I'll ask him through e-mail, which is much less personal and, therefore, easier for me to raise something that is absolutely necessary but very tough to do in person.

I told him that I was done and, well, am I sticking around.  He said I was, which is good ... but only for at least one more week.  Up until now my assignment has been nudged forward two weeks at a time.  But this time it was only a week.  Uh-oh.  Two weeks turns into one week which turns into ... zero.

Because it was time for me to check in with them anyway, after work I spoke to the temp agency to confirm what my boss told me.  She said yes, and although it's possible -- possible -- that I could be extended another week, that second week, according to her, is the last time he could afford to have me and the male of The Two continue to work there.

So, I guess that's it.  It's not losing my job in the middle of December, like I did two years ago, but it's not walking away mid-to-late March, like I did last year.  It's somewhere inbetween, and regardless, probably by Friday (although I'll cross my fingers for the following Friday), this project, one that took a hell of a lot out of me, something I've never done before in my life, will suddenly be over.

Of course I don't like it.  Yeah, there were times where I hated this job and everything, and everyone, surrounding it.  But I did like the paycheck and the steady work (which I think would still be there if I got to stick around) and, frankly, it's OK now.  But it's going to be over.  And unlike last year, there isn't another job waiting for me.  I am, or at least I should be, scrambling for one now.  I wouldn't mind unemployment if my parents weren't home.  But they are, and so I will have to figure out how to hide the fact that I have no job again.

This kind of sucks.

---

One thing that might save me.  The person at the temp agency who fielded my call is, in my opinion, untrustworthy.  She either may have been bluffing me, or she doesn't really, really know when my time is going to end there.  If that's the case, maybe I get to stay on a little longer.  I have no hope other than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment