Thursday, January 1, 2015

Say Goodbye To 2014

I think I usually do these year-end retrospectives just before the year's over.  That kind of indicates how 2014 was for me: Busy.  If there's an overarching theme to the year, it's that I was able to, with the exception of one week, not have full-time work.  It had nothing to do with the journalism degree that I went to school for, but with this life not going the way I planned, chaining together steady work in order to bring in a paycheck every week is what I consider progress.

Just checked my account.  Only in the last month or so have I actually seen it grow.  I am spending a lot of money, because I would rather not plan for a future I have no concrete plans for.  Instead I've sent out all the money I brought on mainly on three things: eating out (which includes going to Buffalo Wild Wings after I blog this to take advantage of Boneless Thursdays and maybe watch the Gophers in the Florida Citrus Bowl/exhibition), my car, and strippers.  If I make a resolution I should cut back on the first.  The other two?  No, I like spending money on my car and strippers.

Maybe another resolution I could make is to tend to my stock portfolio a little more closely.  I have been busy, nevertheless my nestegg there has grown with the burgeoning fortunes of the stock market.  But I liken it to an untamed bush: Precise grooming could make my portfolio grow even more and stronger and could prevent any correction that comes in the future.  Honestly, one of the big reasons I don't think I've done more with my stocks is that I don't know how to compute the capital gains tax on the mutual fund that has grown out of whack compared to the rest of my holdings.  Once I do that, or once I decide that I don't care, I think I'll be braver in making choices.

I really can't complain about 2014.  My parents suck, but they have every year.  I lost one friend, but thank Buddha I still have everyone else.  Still get to live in this house, and the club, while having a slumber right in the middle of the season, really picked up Saturday.  And I went to the doctor's on Tuesday; even though I feel like my stomach's really big, I've actually continued to lose weight.  And I haven't worked out in a week.

So I guess last year was a good year.  I just wasn't able to really enjoy it.  Now 2015 ... well, there's one potentially huge decision I wont' be ready for no matter how much time I get.  And that might dictate how the rest of the year goes.  Let's cross our fingers that I'll just dodge that question.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment