Tuesday, March 17, 2015

McUpsell? McScrewjob?

OK, this is kind of pissing me off because I think this is a thing now.  After work I stopped by McDonald's to get a Shamrock Shake because it's my birthday.  It costs $3.50, and I didn't think anything of it because it's a seasonal item.  But then when I get the shake it's in what I think is a medium size.  I just assumed it was going to be a small.  I thought maybe I was wrong, but then the family behind me, also ordering Shamrock Shakes (I think the father said they were Irish) asked about sizes, and the girl who helped me took out the small size, which is exactly the size I thought a small would be, which is the size I thought I had ordered.

So I got screwed over and was given, and charged for, a size I didn't ask for.  I would have bitched about it, but 1) I needed to get home for dinner and didn't have time, and 2) eh, it's my birthday and I like Shamrock Shakes, let's just go with it.  But -- and this is the important thing -- I think this is the second time in recent months that McDonald's, or at least a fast food restaurant, has automatically given me a medium-sized something when I wanted a small-sized something.  I did not specify the size of Shamrock Shake I wanted; therefore, it seems as if in a case like this, the person at the register automatically charges me for the not-smallest size.  And that really grinds my gears.  I mean, do they have any right to just assume that I want a medium instead of a large?  Are customers usually like that?  Were there enough people going, "Hey, why did you give me a small, dammit?  I wanted a fucking medium!" that that has now become the default?  Because I for one always mean small when I get something.  If I want a damn medium, I would fuckin' say so.

Seriously, is this how it's done these days?  That boggles my mind.  If this automatic upselling is indeed the way McDonald's and other fast food joints do it, we need to know about it, stat.  Because this is nothing but a damn screw job!

No comments:

Post a Comment