Sunday, March 1, 2015

These Cookies Are No Good For Me

I will say this for Warby Parker: They know how to advertise on the Internet.  Because ever since I did some deep research into what type of frames I should get, nearly every website I went to had Warby Parker banner ads.  Virtually every single one.  So much so that it has pissed me off about them, really.

They know how to play the game.  To leverage maximum exposure (and thus impressions and thus dollars for people purchasing their glasses), as soon as you go on their site they impregnate your computer with their cookies, and those cookies follow you and plaster the WP name on every available ad space on every page you go to.  They are ubiquitous to the point of being relentless ... and it's atrocious, to tell you the truth.

At its most unrelenting I decided to take another look at other online eyeglass stores, places that may have been pushed out by a company that appears to give a false front of humility but may actually be the bully of online eyeglass stores.  I looked at the site associated with Asian eyeglass wearers again, and it turns out that one of the five recommended to me by them actually is a reasonable price.  Unfortunately, that frame, plus the cost of the lenses (they break down the price separately) will be about $55 more than getting something at Warby Parker (which gives their prices of the frames and lenses together).  And their customer service remains lauded, and I tried their Home Try-On feature, and I sent them back on Saturday, and I can't complain.  So, despite my deep reservations with their intrusion into my computer and their bombardment of my surfing, I think I'm going to buy a frame from them.

---

I posted pictures of the five frames on Twitter and Facebook.  Many people -- mostly true friends, but a couple former Playboy bunnies and one Playmate -- have given me their opinions on what look best on me.  I gave a quick run-through of the photos on my smartphone to two friends who were at the wrestling bout with me and a stripper at My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division) Friday, and they were unanimous on which frame looked best on me.  But since I posted the selfies on Facebook (no one has replied on Twitter, including Warby Parker, which said it would, damn them), that frame has come in second to another one.  I feel kind of bad that I think I'm going to go against the wishes of the three people whom I showed them my frames first, but hey, majority rules, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment