Tuesday, March 17, 2015

So ... Just A Ground Wire?

Brought the car in yesterday (Monday), and thankfully -- finally! -- the problem recurred with The Mechanic Around The Corner enough times to finally pinpoint the problem.  And no, it's no the fuel pump or the fuel filter or the throttle position sensor or the mass air flow sensor or the wires or the cap and distributor or the spark plugs.

No, it's a ground wire.  One of I guess many, streaming from the back of the engine, connected to the sensor.  The main mechanic at the shop hooked up diagnostic tools to my car and he drove it all around the Twin Cities, and he noticed that whenever my car was hesitating, the sensors didn't read.  A classic case of a bad ground, he says, something common with Japanese cars like mine.  They came in and just replaced what looked to be the bad wire.  Geez, that doesn't seem too complicated a fix.  In fact, why didn't you guys just go to that immediately?

At any rate, I got the car back in the afternoon.  They told me not to pay for it for now.  He thinks that's the problem, but he wants me to drive it around for a couple days to see if it will still hesitate.  If not, I can pay later this week.  That, ladies and gentlemen, is customer service.

So, fingers crossed, I have nothing to worry about.  Nevertheless I don't know if I want to be stuck in morning rush hour with this car, at least not until I can test it on the road for a day.  I should get going now.

Further complication: It's my birthday today.  It's also a day where Father is having surgery.  So maybe it's best for me not to take advantage (too much) of overtime.  I plan on coming home a little earlier, but that means I get sucked into afternoon rush hour.  Hope that my car doesn't seize up ahead of onrushing traffic.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment