Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Antagonist Beside Me

Alright, this is fucking rich.  The woman who sits next to me, the one who was all smiley and shit, struck up a conversation late yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon while we were down.  She first asked me how long have I worked there.

And then she bashed me over the head with her bullshit.  Out of nowhere, she said, "Let me give you some advice. ..."  Huh?  What?  And then she proceeded to "advise" me that I should lay out the cookies and candy I have been eating out of the package onto a paper towel so I don't crinkle the packaging every time I reach in and eat one -- "otherwise one of the leaders might come around and talk to you about it."

Bullshit.  It bothers you, you just went about telling me in a passive-aggressive way.

This is the fucking mealy, penny-ante way to undermine me that My Fucking Father does: Act as if you're making chit-chat, then really drop the bomb on me because that's all you really wanted to talk about.  I see right through you, bitch.

I tried to give her a chance, to mitigate what I immediately saw as a problem with working through the rest of this project.  I was going to say that I have a hard time doing it the way she says -- and will, hint-hint -- but before I could get to my point that laying out the cookies was a long and laborious process, and I have a thing with just laying out cookies I'm about to it because I then commit myself to eating them, she changed the subject; the papers finally came on-screen, so she looked away from me and exclaimed, "Oh, I got one!" and then she ignored me for the rest of the day.

Oh, wow, we are going to have a real fucking problem now, aren't we?  I was just told, in no uncertain terms, that she didn't like the way I eat.  And the fact that she was wilts in the face of confrontation -- when she was the one who initiated that confrontation -- means that I have a goddamn problem on my hands.

The obvious first question is to know if I'm bothering anyone -- well, besides her.  If I'm not, then what should I do?  I can't afford for her to escalate this by bringing in authority figures.  But I'm also not going to knuckle under her requests, especially when she does it in such an underhanded, petty way.  Then again, I'm not sure if reaching into my bags and eating something every five minutes just to piss her off is the right thing to do, either.

Things have to get chilly between me.  That's it -- no more chitchat, no more hellos, not even a smile.  You're not getting that.  And I'm not sure, as I drive into work today, if I'm not going to just piss her off by completely ignoring her "advice."

Eh, I probably won't.  Maybe I'll do what she says.  Oh, God, I can't do that, either.

Man, all I fucking wanted to do was work and earn a paycheck in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment