Saturday, March 14, 2015

OK, NOW My Car Is Going To Kill Me

Oh my fucking God, my car's getting worse.  Drove onto a busy street and immediately the car wouldn't respond to my acceleration.  And it lasted longer than before.  I don't know how long it was, but I can tell you this: I had to pull over onto a side street to make sure I absolutely could not drive the thing and would have to call AAA.  Eventually, after parking for a second, I got it to go.

However it got worse.  I was driving on the highway when the goddamn stalling started.  And I felt it was worse than previous times.  This was longer, and harder to get out of.  Even worse, I was coming up on an incline, so I truly was decelerating at this point.  Once again I had to pull over -- this time on the highway shoulder -- before I could be convinced that when I revved up the engine the car would actually go.  And it did, even though (and I say this as the main driver of this car's entire existence) it sure as hell didn't sound like it did even a day before.

I have dismissed repeated that it was obviously a fuel issue, but I was running on empty, so to make absolutely sure, I moved "getting gasoline for my car" up my to-do-list-coming-home and found the nearest station.  Observation: My tank can hold up to about 18 gallons, but even though I only poured in ten, my gas gauge went from "E" to three-quarters fuel.  Is that something?  Anyway, I was scared shitless that the stalling would come back, but from this station (which basically was east Maple Grove) and with a stopover at picking up allergy spray that my insurance didn't cover, my car operated fine coming home.

As shitty and scary as the trip home was, I have to thank my lucky stars for one thing: I decided to stay late for work.  I got out at 6, and I was surprised at how clear traffic on the way home was.  My God, if I had car trouble this bad if I left in the teeth of afternoon rush hour. ...  That makes me think that it would be a good idea, for my safety, to take advantage of extended/overtime hours with this project and leave at 6, either until my car smooths out or until The Other Mechanic Around The Corner finally finds what the fuck is wrong with it.

On the flipside, my luck can't get any worse.  I planned on coming in to work this (Saturday) morning, if only for 90 minutes, before heading out to the alumni event, because I need the money.  I cannot break down on my way to the alumni event.  I can't.  So I'm in mortal fear that I get to work just fine, but I can't get from there to the event.  So I really am debating whether I should even (let alone am able to) go to work in the morning.  I would be making a lot of trouble for my bosses at the test scoring project, but they'll understand a broke-down car.  The members of my alumni group won't forgive me not being able to make the event I bleepin' set up.  And neither could I.

Moreover, Sunday night we are going out to eat, and there is a possibility we are using my car.  Oh, and on Tuesday My Father is having surgery downtown in the morning -- right around the time I would be going to work.  So I think I'll have to wake up early in the morning so he doesn't see my car stalling down the street.

Look, if they can't find what's wrong with my car soon, I might have to get rid of the thing.  But I might not have a choice if the fucking thing stalls on the highway again.  That truly frightens the hell out of me.

Pray for me, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment