Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Breakthrough!

Not to say that I have been ungrateful going to my psychiatrist.  But today was the first session where I had an epiphany, one of those things I always thought you would get when you go to a psychiatrist.

Not to get too bogged down in it, but the reason I am paralyzed with my career and life choices now has to do with -- tada! -- my parents.  Their constant nagging, criticizing and judging made me unable and unwilling to do anything for fear I would be doing something wrong, and thus reaping their wrath.  So now, whenever someone innocently gives me advice, I instinctively go back to when I was a kid getting yelled at for doing something or for not doing something, and I don't do it.  It's my parents' fault!

So my psychiatrist has told me to stop, think and talking myself through it: Am I not doing it because I really don't want to, or because I'm afraid my parents will disapprove?  That is something I need to work on, because that may be the one through-line, the one thing that might tie all of my problems together.  If I can fix this, maybe I can fix everything else in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment