Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Addendum To: Addendum To: What Mess Of My Parents Do I Have To Clean Up Now?

Oh, some good news about this claim form in which I think I put in my parents' original deed for one of their properties.

So I called the contact number of this settlement, which patched me to the law firm overseeing all these claim forms.  I was given an e-mail address to send my problem to, and it was promptly answered.  The guy gave me his number and invited me to call him.  I gave him the return address on the envelope, apparently he needed to go downstairs to retrieve the package I sent him, and then he says that instead of trying to find the original papers, he was just going to make a copy of every single thing in the envelope and send that all back to me.  I think that's overkill, and that doesn't give me what I really want, which was getting the original back.  (And by the way, at this point I still don't know if the original deed is in there.)  But this is what I get for making a mistake; this is out of my control.  So I accepted this.

The next day, the very next day, I'm coming home in the afternoon and open the screen door.  There's a Federal Express (I insist on still using "Federal Express" instead of "FedEx," even though, according to Wikipedia, "Federal Express" officially became "FedEx" in 2000, which is stupid, because "FedEx" is a truncation and a made-up name) package inbetween the screen and front doors.  Wow, they're quick.  And I appreciate that the guy I talked to spent a lot of the law firm's money to send the copies back the next day.

I open up the envelope, and it looks like, yes, every single piece of paper I sent to them was copied and sent back to us.  But then I looked closer.  Some of the papers looked wrinkled.  And then I looked even closer; some of the pages had two small holes in the upper-left corner.  Staple marks ... staple marks from the staples I removed when I went to the library to make copies of them!  So it looks like that I did mistakenly put in the original deed in the envelope along with its copy.  But moreover, he (or the person he delegated this task to) found it and realized it wasn't so difficult to send the original deed, so he or she sent it!

I checked every single copy with all of the papers I think I had copied as well as the other copies.  I think I have all the pages of the original deed, and any duplicates I've set aside to shred.  And my parents won't have to know about this mistake, because everything seems to be back to where it originally was, phew!

I should e-mail this guy thanking him.

No comments:

Post a Comment