Friday, October 30, 2015

Another Weekend That Was Supposed To Be Quiet But Now Isn't

This weekend I didn't have to work the Vikings game and the college football game was actually in the afternoon.  That gave me time, I believed, to finally get around to raking leaves Saturday morning before the game, go to the Gopher game after it, then have the entire Sunday to myself to either continue raking leaves, do other chores like wash dishes or do the laundry, or just watch football.  Minnesota's game was moved up two hours, so instead of that I thought I could go to Hooters and My Favorite Stripclub (Cover Edition) to avoid all the trick-or-treaters Halloween evening.  It still was all good.

But then over the weekend this guy reached out to me.  He is the lead organizer of my alma mater's squash club team.  I first met him and his team two years ago when they were up here in the Twin Cities to play in a squash tournament.  Really?  Do they actually have money to do this?  But they were up here, and he wanted to see if we could provide a home-court advantage.  I was the only one to show up, but I cheered him on nonetheless.  They won the whole thing, and we went out to Matt's Bar for Jucy Lucys to celebrate before they all boarded a plane back to Los Angeles.

They said they were coming back to defend their title last year, but they didn't show.  We didn't keep in touch after that, until last weekend.  They are coming up to the University of Minnesota this weekend for the squash tournament, and they wanted to see if I and the alumni group wanted to see them.  Now, these guys are great (well, some of them are; the guy I spoke to was awesome, and many of the team were very cordial, but some wouldn't give me the fucking time of day, so I hope they graduated), but their games are on Saturday and, potentially, Sunday morning.  That eliminates any time for me to rake the leaves while there's daylight.  And like two years ago, assuming they win the championship, I might be having lunch with them again, so watching the Vikings game with them is out.  Add to that that Sunday is the end of Daylight Saving Time, which usually is a day where all my synapses are misfiring, and I might be having a hard time keeping up or controlling my temper.

So yet another weekend that's not to myself that will bridge workweeks that are not for my own either.  Goddamn, I'm so busy.  And I want to look forward to seeing these guys, but I gotta tell ya ... I wish I could just stay home for this weekend and do nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment