Monday, October 12, 2015

The Weekend Is Now Over, And I Inadvertently Have Been Woken Up To My Troubles

I have used my tablet sparingly in the past year.  A couple months ago I booted up the tablet, which is a Hewlett-Packard (or are they technically called HP?  I still like the name "Hewlett-Packard") ThinkPad, but didn't use it.  Since then I have kept it on to fiddle with it and to see if it works.

Well, it looks as though Hewlett-Packard has abandoned it, because I just checked for software updates and it's having trouble finding any.  Also, I had set it up so it could receive my e-mail and connect to Facebook, but now, even after putting in my updated passwords, I can't do either.  It kind of sucks that I now have a device that already well on its way to obsolescence.  But I can turn it on, and the web browser still works, so there's that.

Oh, and the alarm works, too.  The last time I apparently used it regularly was last year.  I know this because I was woken up to the sound of a rapid series of soft chimes at 6:15 this morning.  That was the time I set for myself when I was working at the flu biller place last year.  I woke up and was like, "What the hell was that?"  I thought Mother was calling me through WhatsApp or something.  Then I remembered that sequence of sounds and realized that it was coming from my tablet.

Boy, remembering the flu biller place and the times I woke up with my heart beating out of my chest being scared of what's going to happen at work gives me bad memories.  Fortunately, those days are long gone.  Unfortunately, I have other worries that take its place, worries that I put off this weekend so I could actually enjoy my weekend, worries like where are we going to watch the next game, are there things I need to tell my parents that I forgot, where am I going to find my next job, etc.  Those are the worries that I didn't need to worry about right now -- if only that goddamn tablet alarm didn't wake me up.

I remembered to turn it off.  It won't bother me anymore.  But it's too late now.  I'm plagued by my demons now.  And there is no more time to push them down the road.  But I just wanted a couple more hours of being blissfully asleep.  Was that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment