Saturday, July 16, 2016

Nah, I'll Mow Later

Since I'm sticking with this getting-up-at-the-same-time routine (partly because it'll keep the peace at home, partly because it'll help me get up at a decent time during the workweek when I need to act as though I am going to work when I'm unemployed), I have become, to my own self-disappointment, a morning dove.  I am actually getting shit done in the morning, even on weekends.  Hell, especially on weekends.

One of those things is mowing the lawn.  It looks as though the grass needs to be cut weekly, a frequency I don't remember needing to follow ever.  But it apparently does, possibly because we've had enough rain to necessitate that.  Also, I hear that for healthy lawns you need to cut shallowly but often, so weekly seems to be the best thing to do.

Now, what time of day?  Since I insist on being out of the house during the day,  I have done it early in the morning, usually Sundays but some Saturdays too, just so I can get that out of the way before I start with my me time.  Now that I get up early in the morning, it seemed to fit.  And, not for nothing, it appeases my parents, in particular My Father, who seems me doing chores in the morning -- "having a schedule," in his pidgin English.

But that brought up a question I may or may not have researched before: What is the best time of day to mow the lawn?  I think I thought this because, a few times at least, when I go over the lawn before I mow it to remove any big branches and stuff, I look down and see the dew that gets on my shoes.  To me it's stupid to mow wet grass; I thought it wasn't safe for the grass or the lawnmower.  But that's exactly what I'm doing when I mow in the morning.  Or maybe I'm paranoid?

Well, I finally remembered to look it up online.  The top search on Google said it's best to mow in the morning.  But every single link after that said it's best to do it in the late afternoon or evening.  I think the consensus reasoning is that it is indeed harmful to the grass to mow it while it has dew on it, yet doing so in the late afternoon or evening still gives the time to "recover" from the "damage" I inflict on it by basically cutting them open.  (Aside: Why is the top link on Google, which apparently was bought, giving information contrary to the consensus?  That link is for a landscaping service, by the way.)

So now I am at a crossroads.  Either keep doing what I'm doing and causing irreparable harm to the grass, or do it when I'm supposed to and fuck up my schedule.  I'm not a fan of coming home early, putting on sunblock and bug spray, mowing, then coming back into the house where it'll probably be suppertime.  Moreover, in the late afternoon I know I'll be so freakin' tired that I'll probably take a nap and get up when it's too late to mow.

But this weekend?  Well, with the biggest event of the alumni club calendar coming tomorrow, I'm not really thinking straight right now.  When I get this anxious, I'm much more likely to throw routine out the window.  So, right now, I'm blogging this, then eating at Arby's, then going to Trader Joe's to buy some suntan lotion, then working out, then going home early to (hopefully) have the energy to mow the lawn at a better time for the grass.  We'll see how it goes for the lawns, for me, and for my folks, who may or may not like me mowing in the afternoon.  And then next week maybe I'll just say screw the grass, I'll mow it when I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment