Monday, July 4, 2016

It's Two Weeks Away Already, And I'm Already FREAKING OUT!!!

The alumni club's big event is two weeks -- holy shit, it's actually less than two weeks!!! -- away, and so far I am getting no invitations.  I don't know if it's because it's coming much sooner than before, or if people aren't going to my alma mater this year, or they're just bored with it.  But maybe it's because I did such a piss-poor job of advertising this.

The thing is, I don't know what else to do.  I got a huge break when someone volunteered to host this year's party as soon as last year's party ended.  They are even willing to shoulder some of the costs of the party, so that can't be the worst thing in the world.  But I put the word out two weeks ago (a month out), and I set up an invitation page, and so far, I have received no invites, no one saying, "Yeah, we're coming!"

And now I'm in an even worse bind.  Every day closer to the event I feel a desperate need to do something, anything, just so warm bodies are going to show up.  But the more I feel the urge to do something drastic, the more embarrassing I think I'm going to look, so why bother.  That puts me into a state of paralysis, where I fret about doing nothing yet can't get myself to do anything.

But something is what I have to do.  I posted photos of stuff that people can get for free last year, and I think that went over well, so I'm going to do it again this year.  (Unfortunately I was not sent a lot of stuff.)  I need to reach out to my Vice-President, as well as the people from the club I'm close with, to ask if they can come.  Other than that ... more e-mails?

You know, we've had declining attendance the past couple years.  Maybe the reason for that is my piss-poor planning and promotion.  Or, it's ... me.


No comments:

Post a Comment