Saturday, July 9, 2016

They Were Being So, So Rude!

Sorry, I'm using that title because I still can't shake what that bitch at The Wienery said to me.  You fucking let me in anyway!

I've been inundated by weird and therefore stupid people lately.  There are two of them that I want to highlight.

---

The first was at the Nomad.  I was just sitting down, minding my own business, when a guy comes up to me, points at the shirt I bought from the Nomad celebrating the Copa America Centenario, and goes, "You watch the Copa?"

"Yeah," I replied, looking forward to making conversation.  And we did.  And then the match started (it was the Euro semifinal where Portugal eliminated Wales, 2-0).  I thought he would do the decent thing and quiet down after the opening kick.  But he didn't.  Well, he would go silent for a while, and then he would start up with something, like how he didn't like the Copa because there were too many dirty players, or Christiano Ronaldo is a dick, etc.  Now, these are fine conversations to have ... before the match.  But frankly, I was there to watch the match, and so the decent thing to do is to quiet down and keep the talking to a minimum -- especially if the person you're talking to is someone you don't know and in fact is someone you just decided to strike up a conversation with.  I was trying to be nice, but at some point common sense has to kick in, and it didn't with this guy.

That was annoying, but something he did really set me off.  He continued to stand up to watch the match while talking to me.  I was sitting at a table, looking at the same TV screen he was.  I was on a tall, small circular table, with a second chair, but I had some stuff on the table -- my hat, my watch (I take it off especially when it's hot and I'm sweaty), and a pizza box from a place I bought some pizza to eat at the Nomad.

So there is stuff on "my" table.  Furthermore, this guy, at least friendly (in my point-of-view) at the start, was still not "my friend."  In other words, I didn't invite this guy to my table.  Nevertheless, at some point in the first half, he comes back with a coaster, sets it down on my table, and sets his drink on it.  Like he has any right to use my goddamn table.  He even has the audacity to move the pizza box so it's not in his way.  Oh, sorry, stranger I just met who won't shut up, I didn't mean to have my shit in your way on my fucking table.

I don't know if he detected it, specially since I was beginning to ignore him as the match went on.  But when I saw him invading my space without my permission, I just shut down.  I answered some of the questions he prodded me with, but I refused to make eye contact with him from that point on.  I don't think he got the message at first.  But then I ignored him when he noticed the beer bottle chandelier at the front door.  And then he tried to strike up a final conversation about the U.S. Women's National (soccer) Team, and I think he disagreed with something I said; I talked about how the new formation propelled the team to last year's Women's World Cup title, and he said it was a victory for women's rights, which it was, but that's not what I was talking about.  Finally, he shut up and drifted away somewhere else in the bar.

Some people, you know?

---

And then yesterday (Friday), there was this weirdo at the fitness center I work out at.  I've seen him a few times; he has a speech impediment and may have mental difficulties.  I hadn't talked to him until earlier this week, where he told me I was his "frennn."  OK, I guess.  He seems fine, I just don't know what more he would want from me, if he does.

So it was just the two of us yesterday.  I was there when I ate at Blaze Pizza at the U. for lunch, so I had a cup of Coke with me.  (I know it's not healthy to replenish your fluids from exercising by drinking a soft drink, but I figure that I'm actively using the sugar and calories I'm drinking anyway.)

I got done with my 40 minutes on the elliptical.  I get off the bike, take several deep sips of Coke, then grab my banana and leave the fitness room in order to eat the banana and cool off.  I tried going to the other rink, where the refrigeration of the rink radiates the coolness throughout the entire area, but that area was closed.

So I eat the banana, grab a sip of water and come back to the exercise room.  And my cup of Coke from Blaze was missing.  There was some left, and I was thirsty, therefore I wanted to know where it went to.  Just out of curiosity, I looked in the trash can, and there it was, my cup, not empty yet, sitting on the bottom.

I was gone five minutes and the only place I went to was the lobby just outside the fitness room.  So this "frennn" is the only person that was there while I was gone.  He was exercising on a bike, so I tried to get his attention.  First he didn't hear me, or he didn't comprehend me.  Finally I stepped inbetween him and the TV he was watching to ask where my drink went.  And he said some gibberish I didn't understand.  Finally, what I got out of him was that he was there the whole time, he thought I left for the day, and all he had was gum.  I don't think he was saying he did not throw away my Coke, but I'm not sure if he quite comprehended what he clearly did.  I mean, what kind of guy takes it upon himself to clean up?  And who throws away a cup of Coke that's not his?  Seriously, he's there to work out, not be a custodian.

There are huge windows so I could have seen what he was doing inside the fitness room from the lobby.  I should have looked in there, in retrospect, but seriously, why the hell do I have to monitor whether some dumbass throws my cup away?

I couldn't just reach down there and grab it; that's gross.  There were some gulps in it, but that's fine, it's gone.  I left shortly after the attendant went up and said that the exercise room was closing at 5.  This guy may not have understood what was going on.

On my way out he hoped I would see him tomorrow, which is today, which is Saturday.  Honestly, I planned on working out in the afternoon, or, well, now, as I am typing this from the library.  But I am so weirded out and pissed off that I am not working out until this evening, after dinner.  I'm just going to start avoiding this guy.  Hope to Buddha he's not there tonight.

---

Oh, and back on Sunday I ate at the Wendy's close to the library where I'm blog posting now, and he was just talking to himself, to no one in particular.  My God, I was afraid he was going to just start punching someone, like me.

Where do all these fucking people come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment