Monday, July 3, 2017

Addendum To: It Came Together Quick

Kind of old news, since things came together the middle of last week.  But yep, it's all set.  And thankfully my parents, who heard about me going through my siblings who don't live with my parents (like I do), are OK with me going.

The last thing that had to come together was to tell the test scoring place about me attending Grandmother's funeral and what they thought about it.  She sounded genuinely sympathetic about my plight.  But probably because it is against policy, the point person removed me from the project I agreed to the afternoon of my last day of the previous test scoring project, which also was the afternoon just before I got news of the funeral plans.  But then she said that they probably would fall well short of the projected drop-dead date.  In fact, she estimated that the project would end Wednesday the 5th, a mere four working days after it began.  So, it's no big whoop that I didn't get to work that project -- assuming, of course, that it did get done as early as she thought it would.

But then I got to thinking.  If I did not tell her I had to go Grandmother's funeral until I started the project -- say on Friday or today/Monday, I kind of think I would have been able to stay on.  In fact, if we got done early enough -- say today/Monday the 3rd instead of Wednesday the 5th (with the added incentive of finishing it up before Independence Day), I could have worked the project to its completion and then I would be gone tomorrow/Tuesday.  It would have been perfect.  Alas, I don't know for sure that would happen, and besides, I don't want to lie to her in case she caught wind of my lie.  Besides, I've been kind of busy the three days I would have worked.

Kind of an aside: This was the same test scoring place that had the field test I finally chose to do.  We did not get cut early.  In fact, I was able to stay past Friday and into Monday because I was asked to jump over to another group that was woefully behind [my former group got done Friday, so they were done on time].  I only worked for 35 hours or so that week.  I also think about the other test scoring place.  Maybe they worked extra hours to get the project done, and then maybe those people did get transferred to another project.  Who knows?  But in retrospect, my fears were unfounded; unless I get other information, I think I made the right decision.  Whew!

One other thing: During my call with this contact, the person who removed me from the project told me that there is yet another project that got dumped onto the company.  And luckily, it starts next Monday, the first workday after I come back from the funeral.  Yes, I will take it.  Now, it is slated to go only three weeks, and I get the feeling that it's going to less like the field test I did, where the time we were told we had work was just about right, and more about this project I could not do, where a projected two weeks is probably getting reduced to four days.  Nevertheless this represents the longest unbroken stretch of steady employment ever since ... oh, 2011, my first year test scoring, where this company's long field tests took me well into the summer.  Can't complain, especially if I am asked to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment